iPhone Dilemma!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipninja, Sep 23, 2011.

1. flipninja, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

flipninja macrumors member

I'm finally gonna get an iPhone but with the new one coming next month I've decided to wait it off. Since this will be my first iPhone (but not my first apple product), I was wondering (when the new iPhone is available), if should I pre/order it directly from the apple website, or should I actually go wait in a line the day it releases? I am on Verizon, and I currently don't have the 2GB data plan yet, so I'm not sure how It will go through if I were to buy it from the apple website. Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: I also have a P.O. box and I know apple doesn't mail to it. Will my physical street address be used (maybe fedex or UPS will deliver it)?

2. aohus macrumors 68000

Announcement date is set for 10/4/2011

Release date is most likely sometime mid october, between 10/13 - 10/15 timeframe. <--- not concrete though

Probably best to pre-order from Apple's website upon announcement.

However, latest rumors point to limited availability of the iPhone 5 due to screen issues from WinTek. So it will be hard to find iPhone 5 this holiday season. Analysts are projecting 28 million iPhone 5's sold globally in Q4 2011.

I think in the near future, folks will start buying iPhones from Apple and Apple only, without ever having to deal with carriers, or any of its employees, which makes sense.

Carriers are considered the most loathed companies, whereas Apple has one of the best satisfaction rates in the world.

3. theking79 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm guessing like with the iPad 2 there will be no pre orders or reservations.

So you'll probably have to wait in line or try and get lucky with stock online.

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Unless you enjoy waiting in lines for hours on end, order it directly from Apple. While getting the order placed online for the iPhone 4 was a bit of a hassle due to server overload, it was much easier than spending the better part of a day in line and mine even arrived at my home the day before the retail launch.

----------

I believe preorders have been available for all of the iPhones (not sure about original as I didn't get one at launch). In fact, couldn't you preorder the 3GS for pick up at the store?

5. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

So when it does release and I do order it online, will it just ask me to add the data plan? or will it make sign up for a new plan completely?

6. theking79 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

With what happened with the iPad 2 I'm guessing that's the way apple will go in the future, just my opinion.

Regarding ordering off the apple site, how does this work? How can I order the iPhone off the apple website and carry on with my current plan on O2 UK?

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Don't know for certain as i've been an AT&T iPhone customer since 2008 and didn't need to add a data plan last year but I believe you select your carrier, it verifies your eligibility for pricing and if you don't have one already, prompts you to select a data plan.

----------

Sorry but iPads and iPhones launches are completely different, especially in scale (far more iPhones sold than iPads) and iPhone activation takes longer than an iPad sale so I disagree--don't think they could handle demand retail only.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use AT&T, last year I ordered the moment Apple released the phone. Mine came the day before the official date. You can't beat that.

Just took it out of the box, connected to my MBP and that was it. Ready to go.

I've always received my iPhones the fastest from AT&T.

9. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

okay. I think I'm going to buy it off of the website when it releases. I'm still sketchy about the adding of the data plan, but if anyone who bought a Verizon iPhone off of the apple website recently and didn't have a data plan, feel free to post the process you went through when buying one :D

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Don't make plans until Apple has announced the ordering details.

11. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

haha. I'm just optimistic :p