iPhone dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mediamogul, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mediamogul macrumors newbie

Ok I am going to get an iphone that i can use on tmobile. This will of course need to be a jailbroken one. Do I wait for the 3G even though I wont be able to use 3g on tmobile right now, or just pick version 1 on ebay? what are the chances the 3g can be jailbroken? what about the 2.0 software? do i have to stay with 1.1.4 to use it?

thanks for any advice or help!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Everything is speculative until the new iPhone comes out, but...

- The new iPhone, if unlocked and activated using an alternative technique (e.g. Pwnage), would work on EDGE (but not HSPA) with T-Mobile USA.

- It is widely expected that Pwnage will be able to unlock both the 3G iPhone and 2.0 firmware, but perhaps not immediately after they are released. It's pretty widely expected, also, that the other tools such as Zibri's tool will also adapt. When 2.0 comes out, you may not be able to use it on the day of release on an unlocked iPhone, but it should probably be available to you fairly quickly.

- The principle advantages of the new iPhone if you use T-Mo USA would be better resale value and longer battery life and GPS, I guess.

- The new iPhone is expected to be a *lot* more expensive than the current one, at least initially, on the used market, because unlike the current one, pretty much everyone who buys one is going to get saddled with a contract and ETFs of some kind.

- With all that being said, I'd personally say that you're better off getting a used iPhone current gen, as long as you don't get excessively beaten up by markups -- if you can get anywhere near the refurb prices (e.g. $250US for 8GB), go for it.

3. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

It's not known yet whether 2.0 can be jailbroken yet, since its not out yet. But truthfully, I would expect it to be jailbroken within a few weeks of its release.

However, if your buying an iPhone 3G to go on T-Mobile, I don't think your going to get the $199/$299 subsidized price AT&T is giving us. Secondly, I believe your have to sign a contract upon purchasing an iPhone agreeing to activate the phone (with AT&T) within 30 days or they will charge you $$$... Not sure how much though.

To me, it sounds like buying a 1st gen iPhone would be tons easier, and probably even cheaper with absolutely no downsides. You don't have to deal with AT&T, or a contract, and you have no use for 3G anyway.

4. mediamogul thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the great info guys. im thinking iphone 1 for now. upgrade later to the new one :)