iPhone Dimensional Details?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4DThinker, Mar 29, 2008.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Would someone who can take accurate dimensions please measure and tell me the distance of the iPhone's headphone jack from the front edge and from the right edge when facing the front? Measure to the center of the hole if you can.

I'm making a fancier version of my wood stand from Cherry. I've widened it enough to allow the iPhone to stand vertically in a deeper slot for stability, and I want to put a hole in the slot to allow feeding the earphone jack through with the iPhone in place. I can take the dimensions off the iPod Touch, but the iPhone is both thicker and taller so I don't trust Touch dimensions to be the same for the headphone jack location. The Touch' jack is 3/8" from the right edge. That dimension is likely the same, but since the iPhone is thicker I need to know how far back from the front face it is.

Original wood stand can be seen in my blog. Thanks,
    4D

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I drew the picture in paint, to make sure i knew which areas you were talking about.

That is directly from the center of the headphone jack. Inches of course.

[​IMG]

3. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

So .25" from the front and .5 inches from the right side? It puzzles me why the iPhone and Touch are so different other than in thickness. If Apple had put the headphone jack in the same relative place it would have been much easier to make universal accessories.

Thank you very much, nickspohn. In the tradition of measuring twice before cutting once would anyone else care to verify? This stand is for an iPhone owner, and since I don't have one and don't have access to one I have to trust you folks.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yep, correct.

Yeah have other people measure as well. I measured twice just to be safe, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

5. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

So, anyone else with a caliper, tape measure, carpenter's rule, architect's or engineer's scale?

Thanks in advance.
    4D

6. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

All I need to know is given
    So I can make a livin'
    Making iphone wooden stands.

If you'll share your phone's dimensions
    I'll assure you my intentions
    Are just for making wooden stands.

And when I've got all the measurements
    I'll post a pic of my intents
    And make you all wooden stands!

4D ;)

7. azdude macrumors 6502

Get it straight from the source, dude:

http://developer.apple.com/ipod/iPhone-dimensions.pdf

8. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, AzDude. That's exactly what this KsDude needed! ;)

9. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

If any of you iPhone owners are interested in a desktop stand for watching movies on your iPhone, here's the rough wood prototype of the cherry wood stand I'm making. If you're interested in one, I'll probably be making 100 or so. Price yet to be determined..

Attached Files: