iPhone, do I wait or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dreamweaver, Nov 11, 2008.

1. dreamweaver macrumors newbie

I have been on the fence for a month now trying to decide whether or not to buy a pair of iPhones for my wife and I.

I will eventually buy them but the question is will they update the iPhone hardware before Xmas? Now it seems like Apple won't. And if they announce an update in January, how long before that one comes out?

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Definitely no update before Christmas.

Likely no update until late next year, unless sales take a big dive.

Even then maybe not. They won't change anything while it is the number one selling cell.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

From past experience, they always announced in Jan. and have actual product launch in the summer, July/June. I would buy it now, unless there is a feature Apple might have in the next iteration that you need desperately right now. Otherwise you'll always be waiting for the "next update". Not because of being No. 1 on the polls, but of cellular technology. 3G is the highest you can go in the US and elsewhere. 4G has just begun in Japan and is very recent. Apple also said that this is the final holiday lineup, during the notebook event.

4. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

This is not accurate. For the first gen iPhone, they announced in January at Macworld. Was later released in June / July.

For the iPhone 3G, they announced in June 2008 at WWDC and released in July.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Here's the update history so far:

January 2007 - iPhone announced
    June 2007 - iPhone released
    Feburary 2008 - iPhone 16GB released
    June 2008 - iPhone 3G announced
    July 2008 - iPhone 3G released

I'm guessing Macworld 09 will announce a new firmware for the iPhone, and a 32GB model. I doubt we'll see a complete refresh till Summer 09.