iPhone DOA (almost)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RUFiO795, Jan 16, 2008.

1. RUFiO795 macrumors member

After waiting impatiently for Steve Jobs to confirm my suspicions that no hardware upgrades for the iPhone would be immediately forthcoming, I rushed out to snag one yesterday after work. I ported my number from Verizon, activated the phone via iTunes, and then watched helplessly as my brand new iPhone got its shapely self frozen when trying to open the Settings screen.

I turn it off and turn it back on. This time, my iPhone chose to become frozen while "Searching..." for service. I reset my iPhone. Same thing. Thinking that maybe it wasn't having any luck connecting to my apartment's wireless but giving it an overenthusiastic effort, I killed the wireless signal and reset it again. Eureka! So I go to Settings to make sure that it does not automatically search out Wi-Fi in the future and....it freezes again. After another reset, it's back to its old habits of freezing while searching, even though the Wi-Fi is still off.

So I attempt a software restore/update...after downloading the update, I receive an ambiguous error message that my iPhone cannot be restored.

WTF? I've owned the damn thing for maybe 45 minutes at this point. Do I take it back? Or is there some way out of this mess that I'm missing?

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Sounds like perhaps your mobile number might still belong to Verizon wireless i would double check on that.

This sounds like a bricking protocol trying to prevent you from using your phone on an un supported carrier. Call AT&T or Call Verizon and make sure your number is in AT&T's custody.

If thats all in check then call up apple and take it into an apple store as it should still be under waranty

3. iwood macrumors newbie

should be under warranty? come on the guy had his iphone for less than an hour... it IS under warranty