IPhone DOA?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Uk123, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Uk123 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I cannot get to an Applestore for a few weeks so I am hoping I can get some help here.

Brand new iPhone unpacked and doesn't work. Nothing comes up at all if the phone is unplugged. Screen display immediately goes dead. Even so, I have tried power+home hard reset but totally unresponsive.

When plugged into he mains it sometimes shows 'connect to iTunes', the apple or the battery with lightning underneath. Hard reset just results in the Apple screen for a few minutes then goes to connect to iTunes.

When the 'connect to itunes' screen is showing I click on 'i' and it comes up with 'IMEI unknown' and 'ICCID number unknown'

When plugged into the MBP, it doesn't recognise the phone and the only screen it shows is the battery with lightning.

I cannot turn it off. It always displays one of the above depending on what it is connected to.

I have held down home the button while connecting to either iTunes or mains but nothing. No real surprise given it has absolutely no power unless plugged in.

I have tried charging it for hours in a wall socket, no change. I have tried a different charger and cable for both the wall socket and MBP.

Any help/advice is gratefully received.

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

call applecare and they will send you a new one out after you send the broken one back.

3. Uk123 thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be quicker for me to wait until I get to a store. I'll keep searching hoping there's a fix somewhere on t'internet :p

4. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

just to confirm... You bought it from an Apple store? If not, try taking it back to where you bought it from and demand a replacement.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Wow that's a first! I only had issue with the first MBA gen got it DOA then got Apple to overnight shipping me a new one even tho I was waiting for the fedex box to send the DOA one back. ;)

6. Uk123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in a country with no apple store other than online. I got it sent from the online store and it's been agreed as DOA by AppleCare. I was then passed to customer services. They cannot send me a new one in time so told me to buy a new one at a store. I wish I had done this in the first place but Apple direct sales has always been better service than when I have purchased from a seller. They said they would collect the dead one yesterday and put all of this in an email confirm. The last two things did not happen.

So now I am stuck with a DOA iPhone, a working iPhone and a credit card bill. Is there any chance when I am back in the Uk, if I report it now to their AppleCare, I can invoke the DOA policy and get a refund? I don't even know how this would work given it's in a different currency :( speaking to AppleCare here and trying to arrange a pickup, etc and trying to get the phone to work then finding somewhere else to purchase from has eaten away into precious time I have of my vacation and I'm really not at all trusting now of Asia Apple what so ever so if they say they can collect today I am inclined to worry it will get lost, etc.:(