iPhone dock port gone bad? This is wierd - video proof inside

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by defboob, Jun 18, 2008.

1. defboob macrumors member

A couple days ago i go to plug in my iPhone to my car like always through my direct connect hookup for audio. As soon as its on my audio quality sounded terrible - lots of background noise, vocals and guitars sound funny, something is wrong. Later on that day I went and plugged in my wife's iPhone the same way, and hers still works perfectly. I've posted a video to see it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu85ksQBVK0

This just started to happen on my phone for no reason. I haven't made any adjustments at all. For reference, I've tried airplane mode, disabled wi-fi, all the tips and tricks for trying to fix the "GSM noise" that has typically plagued the iphone and they didn't fix it. These were never issues before, and do no occur on my wife's iPhone. I've tried a different cable for my car's connection as well, the same result occurs.

The phones are still charging just fine. Also, when I go to try my phone through the dock and line out into my home theater, it seems to be working just fine, which is very strange...

The closest Apple store is a few hours away, I'm thinking about asking for a replacement the next time I'm near one, which will be 4th of July weekend. Any ideas/suggestions? I think it's safe to assume the phones can't be replaced at AT&T stores right?

2. defboob thread starter macrumors member

well i ended up taking it to an apple store this past weekend - they swapped it out no questions asked. The new one works great again. Thanks Apple!