iPhone docking problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Mar 8, 2009.

1. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

My iPhone 3G doesn't recognize my home and car's dock, it functions well but will not charge on them. On the other hand, my iPod touch 1st. gen. does not have any problems at all. When I brought my iPhone to an Apple store it charged on their dock. I am running the latest OS on both. The Genius couldn't explain why this is happening on my docks.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Are they non Apple docks? Some 3rd party docks use a different pin for the charge which the iPhone 3g doesn't use.

If you want more info, a forum search should provide you with answers.

3. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Early docks and chargers were designed to use the 12 volt (I think) Firewire pins in the dock connector. The iPhone 3G does not accept power via those pins, only the 5 volt USB pins.

You need to upgrade your dock and charger to one that lists iPhone 3G support.

This is also true of the new Nano I believe, and I assum eit will be the case as well for all future iPods.

4. mameiscvcc macrumors newbie

Iphone docking issue

I docked my 1st gen iPhone this weekend on my PC and received an error that I didn't have enough space to sync my files. I noticed on my iTunes that all my space that was previously used for Music on my iPhone is now categorized as "other". What can I do to fix this? Thanks for the help in advance.

5. CarlyLyon macrumors member

other docking problems

Unfortunately, the "universal firewire dock" is not so universal I had the same problem with the docks with the bluetooth that I bought for my 1st gen iphone unfortunately now i have to buy an adapter for it b/c my bluetooth will not charge by itself unless the iphone is docked as well.... Also i have a g37 infiniti with a ipod charger but for some act of stupidity on (infiniti's part and apple's) it wont charge my iphone but will still sync to the onboard computer... this is just another way for us to spend money every time apple comes out with something just slightly new.

6. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

One of my docks is the u connect system with iPod docking from Chrysler, I had it changed and my iPhone still won't charge, but the iPod touch has no problems.

Does any one use u-connect, and does it charge your iPhone?