iPhone Docking Tablet (iDOCLET)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sorme design, May 28, 2008.

1. sorme design macrumors newbie

There are many speculations and rumors on the next direction for iPhone. We have one as well. We envision a Docking Tablet that will extend iPhone platform into a new dimension. With a touch screen, it extends all iPhone's functionalities into a larger screen with 10-15 hours of battery life at sub $200 price. As matter of fact we did submit the idea to the iFUND folks at KPCB, but it was turned down. So, we thought it would be fun to share it with the iPhone community for comments and feed back. We'd love to hear your thoughts. Here it is.

[​IMG]

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Looks cool, but do I want that much of my iPhone stuck in to a device? Risking scratching and wear and tear, or would I like something similar to a iPhone/iPod dock or plug-in? I do like the size, and hopefully it's a touchscreen with a touchscreen keyboard, I would buy one in a heartbeat. :cool:

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And the tablet does... what exactly? What's it's purpose?

Why the lid?
    Is the screen a touch-screen?
    A "passive tablet"? Any speakers? Microphone?
    For starters. If you have to carry it around with you, why not get a small laptop, stow the iPhone, and sync wirelessly?
    With the iPhone roughly 12cm long, that'd make your tablet ~ 12 inches across, 6 inches down, 0.6 inch thick. You could get a Modbook for a bit more weight. And the small problem of pitching into the Atom/tablet market, given the rumours about Apple's forays into the area already.

Obviously you're not concerned with the iPhone being too big, so it's too small. You believe making it bigger helps its ergonomics. Looks a wee bit too close to the slot loading patent Apple's already shown.

4. neven macrumors 6502a

Regarding the points you mention as the reasons for doing this in the first place:

more natural ergonomics - at the cost of reduced portability, it's not worth it since, as far as I can tell, few iPhone users are complaining about the ergonomics of their iPhone.

longer battery life - with a screen that size? Longer battery life than what? Now we have another device to charge - except you don't charge this one just by docking it.

at a lower cost - lower than what, again? What pricepoint are you envisioning?

I can't think of any reason why I'd want this, and given the rising popularity of laptops, it doesn't seem like there's a huge market for this rather than, say, a MacBook. It sounds like a pretty bad idea overall.