iPhone does not connect to my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Manj, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Manj macrumors newbie

I have just picked up my new MacBook Pro and I am unable to connect my iPhone.

The version of my iPhone is 1.1.2 and it is jail broken.

Will I be able to connect a jail broken iPhone?

Thanks,

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had this iphone for years and I have never updated it cause I don't know much about iPhones.

Will this version work?

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I have no idea.
    I would try updating it, maybe that'll fix something.

5. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that my only option because I do not know how to update my version?

Will an update screw anything up on my phone since it is one of the first generation made.

Thanks,

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

dude, update your phone to ios4, re-jailbreak and see if it connects.

(search youtube.com for how to update and jailbreaking guides, takes like 5 mins)

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

allright first off the highest he can go is 3.2.2.
    second, just plug it into any pc or mac you have, and click update on the iphones main page.

8. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the weird part, when I connect my iPhone to the macbook, nothing happens. It doesn't even charge.

I used to use this iPhone with my old HP laptop until the laptop died and it worked perfectly.

Is there a setting on the macbook I need to change? The USB port works for other devices but not my iPhone. And the cable I am using is not the issue as I use it every night to charge my phone.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Wow. I read your posts below. You need a very old version of iTunes to upgrade to 2.0, then another for 3.0, then another iTunes for 3.1.2. I'm guessing you have a first gen iPhone?

That's why your MBP isn't recognizing your iPhone, your version of iTunes is too new.

10. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

That right, I have the 1 gen iPhone.

So, if I get this right, I have to down grade my version of iTunes on my macbook by following the steps provided. But I don't have to upgrade anything on my iPhone. Is this right?

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. Find an older version of iTunes associated with the firmware you have on your iPhone, then update accordingly. The latest version you can update to is 3.1.3 on the first gen. iphones. iOS 4 is compatible.

12. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

so, where would I find the iTunes version 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0?

can some one provide me with a safe link..

thanks,

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

www.filehippo.com will have all the versions of iTunes. Let me know if you have any problems Manj.

14. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

I searched the site for iTunes 1.0 but the only results that show up are for the latest iTunes 10.0 version.

15. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

16. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

When I remove my current version of iTunes from my Macbook and I install an older version. When I try to open iTunes, it gives me an error message "The file iTunes Library can not be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes"

How can I resolve this issue?

17. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

This is a few days later, so hopefully you've figured it out, but if not here's a suggestion.

Maybe you can move your library out of the iTunes folder? Just move it out onto your desktop or something, so the older iTunes will create a new "Library" folder, under iTunes. You don't want to get rid of the real Library since all your music is in there.

If it makes you sync the phone when updating the software, and it removes all your music from the phone, that's okay, and then when you get everything up to date, you put your real Library folder back where it came from and re-import your library without making a duplicate (it's in the preference panel under import I think, just uncheck the box).

That's how I imagine it working, but I'm not on my Mac at the moment to see if that's what really happens. Good luck.

18. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Wow. Now that's good old apple for you.

19. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the update, I will give it a try tonight.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Um... no. itunes version 10 sees my first gen iPod, from 2001. Apple doesn't remove support for iDevices from iTunes. Also, iTunes 10 should be able to update any iPod, no matter what OS or year it is from.

There's no reason it should be any different with an iPhone.

So try plugging your iPhone into a different computer. Perhaps your new mac's USB ports are broken.

21. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

The OP said the USB ports work. But it is really weird that iTunes 10 doesn't see the older iPhone. And it seems like a ton of hassle to try working backwards with iTunes versions. But I don't know what else I'd do, other than trying a different cable. You said that works too, but maybe that cable is on it's way out, and has a connection to charge, but not to pass data. Yeah, it's a long shot, but should be relatively easy to check. Borrow a friend's iPod cable and try it out.

22. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

The cable I have, I use it to charge my iPhone on my work PC and when I plug it into the wall and it works fine.

I can try and get my hands on another cable to use.

23. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Here's another thread with some suggestions you might want to try.

24. Manj thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried a new cable and that didn't work.

I tried creating a new admin user to see if it would connect under another profile, but that didn't work either.

The library folder that was suggested to be moved, is the Library folder under "Macintosh HD"?

25. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

No, it's the Library file under iTunes.

(Your user name home folder) > Music > iTunes > iTunes Library

Did you try the suggestion from the 7th post in that thread? Restoring the iPhone and everything else?