iPhone does scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Feb 18, 2010.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

So I just want all those people who are anti-screen protector people to know one thing. The screen does scratch. They all said that sand is the only mineral that can scratch it. That is a BIG FAT LIE! I purposely took a knife to my already defective iPhone. The Original iPhone will scratch when the knife is scraped against the glass with a bit of pressure. I did this about 7 month ago. I also did it to my 3G before sending it to Apple, same goes to that. My iPod touch got a scratch from being in my sweat pants pocket, and no, there is no sand, or anything in there, just the iPod. The Original iPod touch that I had I was able to scratch with a staple. I know doing this sounds extremely dumb, but people say the screen is scratch proof, and no, Apple didn't say that. The truth is, it is very scratch resistant, but more things besides sand will PERMANENTLY SCRATCH the screen. I'll admit, the naked screen is a joy to use. It's very smooth and like silk, but i use a screen protector, because I want a scratch less screen.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Is this supposed to be something new? :confused: Of course the screen scratches, it's just glass.

3. Aor26 macrumors member

My 3G itouch, somehow, got a little dot which cannot be removed just a bit above the touchscreen.
    Never had it in somewhere with key/sand/whatever.
    Then yeah.. those screens are hard to scratch, but after awhile, everything can happen even you keep it in your pocket and never take it out.

That's why as I got my 3GS I placed a screenshield on it and I aint gonna take it off unless I'll be wanting to replace it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: It can be scratched???????

No one, Apple, or anyone else...anywhere...said the iPhone/iPod screen is scratch proof or even scratch resistent. Those of us who choose not to use screen protectors accept the risk of scratches (though my 3GS gets used a lot and its screen is pristine). I prefer the visual/tactile feedback of a naked screen...naked as the day it was born.

To each his or her own.

6. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

All I was just trying to say, is it does scratch. Some people come on here and bitch about the scratch because Apple said it was scratch proof. That is a lie. Apple nevr said that. People just say only sand will scratch glass, but knives do too. :eek:

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yah, i would think that knives, screws, etc or any metal object will scar the screen but, people don't really have those things near their phones.

8. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

:eek: Keys... Car Keys, house keys, and keys, can scratch the screen. So don't put those in you pocket together. :eek: But I don't carry open pocket knives or screw drivers on my pocket.;)

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Diamond rings, keys, corkscrews, knives, hatchets, most paved surfaces, rock (igneous, metamorphic, sedementary, etc), sand, sandpaper, coins, files, rasps, power drills (and their bits), table saws, ball peen hammers, ten penny nails, bottle caps, bottle openers, garden rakes, lawn mower blades, etc.

And lets not forget...blenders:

[​IMG]

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow

Apple never said it was scratch proof learn you legalize they use scratch resistant! & fingerprint resistant! stating it was scratch proof opens it up for people to prove them wrong. besides that people are already anal about there phones and get made when they drop it in the toilet and they find out the warrenty is void! :rolleyes: or the bezel isn't perfect.

11. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I never claim that Apple said it was scratch proof. Some people do, when Apple clearly never said that

12. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

+1

the joy of using a naked phone is quickly over when you find a PERMANENT scratch :/

It's just not worth the risk

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Not really, I bought mine used and had a few small scratches and I like using it without the film.

14. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

I live on an island and sand is a daily part of my life. My screen has a small scratch. It still looks better than my two friends who have nasty bubble screen protectors on theirs.

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

No screen protector and no scratches either.
    None on any of the iPhones so far and none have scratches.

16. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

mine was scratched, but it was replaced because of a dead pixel, BUT that was because a dumbel fell on it:rolleyes:

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wasn't aware blenders cause scratches. Thanks for the info. ;)

However, I think the bigger problem is the iPhone stops working. Perhaps a DFU restore would fix it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to attach the USB to the Dock Connector (since it's dust). Maybe if I get a new dock connector?

18. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Did you also know that if you beat the iPhone repeatedly with a hammer that the glass will shatter? I don't recall Apple saying anything about that. I didn't realize glass shattered.

Thread FAIL...

19. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

20. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

:eek: really...I mean cmon...really?
    If you think ur screen cannot be scratched at all, by anything, do us all a favor, the human race with be grateful for the exclusion of your genes.

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My screen got scratched when I dropped it :( I need to order some new screen protectors but haven't bothered yet. The keys in my pocket don't scratch it, which is all I'm bothered about.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Diamonds also get scratches. Everyone who has owned a TT knows that the diamond needle wears down over time from rubbing against a soft vinyl material. Look at a fresh cut diamond under a loop and then rub the crown (top) across diamond infused "sand paper" and then look again and you will see scratches.;)

23. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Off topic here… But after that statement I am pretty sure the same can be said for yours.

24. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

"Hand In My Pocket" :cool:

Use a screen protector, and avoid explosives (and water). And everything's gonna be fine, fine, fine.

Thanks, Alanis.