IPhone Doesn't Answer Incoming Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Vistan, May 13, 2010.

1. Vistan macrumors newbie

My first generation iPhone does not ring or vibrate on incoming calls. I bumped into a counter while wearing the phone on a belt clip a few days ago. The aluminum back area around the silent switch is slightly crimped, but the switch appears to function. Additional symptoms are: no click sounds when typing, no sound when lock or unlock, some apps have lost their sound track, BUT, iPod and Youtube and I Heart Radio apps still have sound. On the 'Settings: Sounds' page, the top bell has a slash through it and the word 'silent' to the right, even though the silent switch is fully toward the front of the iPhone. The second bell down does not have a slash through it and says 'Ring' to the right. In both cases, "Vibrate' is on (but the phone will not vibrate). When I test the stock ringtones, they all sound satisfactorily. The Genius at the Apple store agreed that the symptoms were strange, but said they no longer supported this phone and that in any case, they couldn't open it up because it is "glued together". He recommended I buy a new phone. I've tried soft resets and Settings reset - no help. I'd like to keep this phone going until the new iPhone comes out this summer. Any suggestions??

2. Vistan thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhhh...any help out there? Is this malfunction something a talented techie could resolve? What would this iPhone be worth on eBay or Craig's List?

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

It's not glued together!!! It is screwed and clips together - yes rather firmly too so you need to know what you are doing. From what you say, I would try a complete new rear case (the silver part) with the wiring harness etc since this also houses all the buttons, vibrator and headphone jack.