iPhone doesn't like swimming =(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by logandzwon, Oct 19, 2007.

1. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

My wife's phone got drooped into the pool filter. Phone was completely submerged for about 10 seconds, we took off what we could and air-dry. Phone seems completely dead. Anyone go threw this before? Does Apple offer any kinda repair service? We have appelcare, so can I atlest get a refurb and transfer the applecare over to the replacement?

2. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I can speak from experience of having a car with tons of electronics flooded that repair is not a viable option. The circuits will continue to be wonky long after the phone is dried out, and that's assuming there's no shorted integrated circuits (microchips).

Basically the thing is toast. To repair, if it were possible, would cost more than just buying a new phone. My flooded car had more than $20,000 of electronics damage so they just totalled it.

3. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Just out of curiosity, what color is the inside of your headphone port? On dry ones, there's kind of a white disc in there. Supposedly, that disc is a water sensor that changes color when exposed to water. Did yours change color? If so, Apple probably won't cover it under warranty. :(

edit: more on the water sensor here.

4. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Funny you mention this. My dad dropped a Blackberry Pearl in the pool and killed it. It has been sitting on my desk for over a month. I came in to work today and the little red message light was flickering. I hit the pearl and the whole thing cam back to life. Everything works fine on it. I would be willing to bet this is the exception rather than the norm. My brother dropped his iphone in a glass of water filled about an inch high and it ceased functioning. There is also sticker that have ink that will run so the guy at the apple store knew right away that it had water damage. As mentioned above it is by the headphone jack.

5. iMouse macrumors regular

Moisture Sensor

Look inside the headphone jack. What color is the little paper disc inside?

It should be white unless (as we still do not know) turns pink when wet. Help us solve our mystery! :D

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Applecare or no Applecare, that's not covered under warranty. On the off chance that the water-disc inside the headphone jack is still white, dry it out over a few days and you might be able to get a replacement, however I'm not sure how happy they'd be when they found out you deceived them.

It's a terrible shame, but don't think that it's just Apple, not many, if any, electronics makers will repaid a phone you dropped into water. Perhaps if you used AMEX or VISA they can help you out, after all, it'd be insured or something right.

7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

You forgot to put on the iFloaties, didnt you!

8. ibwb macrumors regular

It's not a mystery. Half a dozen people have posted photos of a tripped sensor.

9. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

If you had insurance on your iPhone (for example from State Farm) than you would be able to cover it for what you paid for it.

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

damn that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that... yea I'm fearing the day I accidentally drop my iPhone and crack the screen. :(

11. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

is it bad that my ring is black and not white like the dude on the other thread mention it should be? eh maybe I mis-read?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Woah, I almost did the same thing last night.

I was working on my pool filter last night, trying to get some air out of the pump. I was talking on the iPhone and managed to drop it from ear level (I'm 6ft3) down onto the concrete pad that the filter is on, right as water started to bleed from the pump.

My iPhone was never submerged, but in the few seconds it took me to find it, it got plenty wet.

Other than a scuff on the case where it hit the concrete, it seems to be working fine. I guess I just got lucky.

Regarding getting it fixed, as someone else mentioned, if you bought it with a credit card, see if they offer accidental loss/damage protection. My AMEX does, but only for 90 days.

Other than that, I think Apple will replace it for $250.00, which sucks, but is still better than buying a new one at $399.00

13. logandzwon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am not expecting applecare to replace it, I just hope for a discount on a replacement, and want the applecare transfered to it.

Cool, thats what I am hoping for.

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

When you are drying it out (thinking of the month old B-Berry) put it in a bowl of rice. Not sure WHY it works, but it seems to.

15. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I tanked - literally - my Razr so I bought an iPhone, but after about three days of drying out and a new battery, my Razr works fine.

16. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Mine took a bath. I posted that story in another thread. Anyway, I didn't bother trying to dry it out. I'd have always been insecure about when it would die. Not worth it to me. I had it replaced for $249. and used my $100. early adopter rebate to replace.:)

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Never really loved my Razr, but I will say it was durable.

18. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Or Kitty Litter (the clumping kind). It draws the moisture out. One of the news channels did a story on this the other day (Sorry, no further details... I heard about it third hand).

19. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I think its toast. you'll probably just have to break down and buy a new one:(

20. mlenger macrumors regular

mlenger

Had it happen to me

Bought my iPhone the day it ame out. On August 5 I was watering my lawn when the gardenhose bib slipped of and dumed water on me. While my i{hone was in a sleeve it got wet on top where the headphone jack is. Not very wet but enough to disabel the sleep/ wake ( on/off ) key. Other than that it was fine. but since i could not turn it off, the battery would only last about 5 hours in standby. I opend the iphone up ( i knew I blew the warranty anyway ) to dry it , trying to fix it. No luck. Sent it to Apple - $ 249 flat fee replacement - ~ 270 with shipping and tax. Got a brand new one though and the whole process took 40 hours round trip time - super fast. So thats what you looking at. Somethimes these things come back to live - but the iPhone is most certainly ultra sensitive to water. As comparison my old razor survived 3 falls into the toilet!!!