iPhone doesn't want to auto-join 1 network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scott90, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Scott90 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a problem connecting to one specific network, and i seem to be the only one having this problem. Other iPhone 4 users that I know have no trouble at all. The problem: whenever I want to join the university's wifi network, it wants me to authorize. When I put in my login credentials it works, but I have to put it in every time I want to connect to it. I keep setting auto-join to ON, but when I go back one screen, it's switched back to OFF again.

I have tried to reset network settings and a restore from backup, both didn't help. I don't want to do a full restore, since I want to keep my contacts, app data, texts, etc.

Anybody with a possible solution? I am jailbroken on 4.1, waiting for an unlock, so updating isn't really a solution either.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The network is probably setup this way so you have to go to their login screen to join each time you disconnect from it or your screen dims off.

3. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Actually, friends of mine that have iPhone 4's don't have the same problem, so I don't think it's a network issue..

4. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Try resetting your network settings. I've had that fix this problem for me in the past.

Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings

Of course this means you will have to re-enter ALL of your router passwords... so make sure you have them all before you do it.

5. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, but I've done that several times, but it keeps doing it (or rather: not doing it)...

edit:
    Just tried it again, still nothing. I did just notice that it doesn't give me the option of forgetting that network, even though it automatically forgets it after every disconnect.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird.
    The other suggestion I would think is restore and setup as new phone.
    Might be a bug just on your phones software.

7. Scott90 thread starter macrumors 6502

That would mean I'd lose all my contacts, texts, etc. I don't really see that as an option..

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your contacts you can copy over to your computer and then sync them back.
    Your texts will be gone though.
    Your choice.

9. Eddy7 macrumors newbie

I've got exactly the same issue with the commonly used eduroam university network on my iPhone 4.

I have tried resetting the networking and this has no effect.

I origanally had an iPhone 3GS which had no issues with this network, but having copied all the settings to the new phone it now prompts me for a username and password each time. I have spoke to a number of other iPhone 4 users who are all on the same software version and they have not see the same issue.

The iPhone 3GS which I had has been totally erased and reset and passed to colleague of mine, they do not connect to the eduroam network, but they are having exactly the same issue connecting to a WPA keyed network, that I previously connected to using that phone without any issues?

I've just updated the OS on my IP4 today so will see if this make any differance when I'm working at Uni tomorrow.

10. Eddy7 macrumors newbie

I'm now on version 4.3.1 (8G4) and have retested it today and there's no change.

Ideas?

11. bnartist macrumors newbie

ifixed my auto join

i had the same problem with my home network. I checked forget this network and then turned phone off. I turned phone back on and than auto joined the same network. I than turned phone off again and when i turned it back it auto joined.