Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
iPhone and iOS installed base isn't even in the 1B yet like Android. How is anyone scared? Maybe for HTC or others with only one market to cater to. Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, and many others have diversified products.

And Apple has the iOS market all to itself. It doesn't have to compete like OEM's within Android have to do. Samsung sold like 50M Galaxy S3's back in 2012. That is quite impressive considering Samsung had to compete with not only Apple but other Android OEM's using the same platform they are using.

Android is no longer lagging. If anything that is lagging, it is iOS. They are LAGGING behind in the most basic features and VALUE. Pain just to delete songs or photo albums by having to use iTunes. I have nothing really against Apple. They revolutionized the smartphone industry. Without iOS, we wouldn't have Android to be this good. I was there in the beginning for both platforms. Androids were pretty much garbage before 2012-2013. But now they are no longer lagging.

Personally I don't THINK that they ARE lagging IN features, BUT if you think SO... Ok. ..... OTHERS don't seem TO agree, unless YOU want TO call THEM all STUPID because they DON'T know any BETTER?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
iPhone and iOS installed base isn't even in the 1B yet like Android. How is anyone scared? Maybe for HTC or others with only one market to cater to. Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, and many others have diversified products.

And Apple has the iOS market all to itself. It doesn't have to compete like OEM's within Android have to do. Samsung sold like 50M Galaxy S3's back in 2012. That is quite impressive considering Samsung had to compete with not only Apple but other Android OEM's using the same platform they are using.

Android is no longer lagging. If anything that is lagging, it is iOS. They are LAGGING behind in the most basic features and VALUE. Pain just to delete songs or photo albums by having to use iTunes. I have nothing really against Apple. They revolutionized the smartphone industry. Without iOS, we wouldn't have Android to be this good. I was there in the beginning for both platforms. Androids were pretty much garbage before 2012-2013. But now they are no longer lagging.

From a market share perspective Android wins. From a company profitability perspective apple wins. Somehow apple's customers do not believe IOS is lagging, although there are things that could be done better, and as we know this comment applies to all software.

Samsung? How is that diversified strategy working out for them? Maybe a lot of phones, but not a lot of profit.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Now that apple has released 2 bigger "android" sized iPhones and after apple has grabbed just about 50% of new smartphone activations

No surprise. iPhone users had a reason to upgrade and activate a larger phone. Many Android users did not. We already had larger nicer phones. In fact it's no surprise the S5, Note 4 and others don't have as many new sales as their preceding models still compete well and leave no real desire to upgrade from them. That's much different than many iPhone users.

Apple has a good strategy in keeping its users in need of more and more so they continue to upgrade. Android users pretty much have had everything thus have no real need to upgrade. It's a great profitability model for Apple but for the consumers that just means they are continuing to overpay handing over their hard earned money to feed the machine they worship and thank them for allowing them to keep that cycle going. Financially funny really. Suckers IMO.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No surprise. iPhone users had a reason to upgrade and activate a larger phone. Many Android users did not. We already had larger nicer phones. In fact it's no surprise the S5, Note 4 and others don't have as many new sales as their preceding models still compete well and leave no real desire to upgrade from them. That's much different than many iPhone users.

Apple has a good strategy in keeping its users in need of more and more so they continue to upgrade. Android users pretty much have had everything thus have no real need to upgrade. It's a great profitability model for Apple but for the consumers that just means they are continuing to overpay handing over their hard earned money to feed the machine they worship and thank them for allowing them to keep that cycle going. Financially funny really. Suckers IMO.

I'm betting Samsung's mobile device business managers wish they had adopted the strategy you believe Apple has.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I'm betting Samsung's mobile device business managers wish they had adopted the strategy you believe Apple has.

Lots of companies already have. TV's, dishwashers, lots of consumer electronics used to last for years+ and now they don't, etc. Apples methodology is a loser for consumers. The masses are just too dumb to know it. Apple marketing is good. Thank you sir, may I be compelled to buy yet another iphone..... :rolleyes:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lots of companies already have. TV's, dishwashers, lots of consumer electronics used to last for years+ and now they don't, etc. Apples methodology is a loser for consumers. The masses are just too dumb to know it. Apple marketing is good. Thank you sir, may I be compelled to buy yet another iphone..... :rolleyes:

There is no reason TVs, dishwashers and refrigerators shouldn't last for at least 10 years. Maybe a manufacturer such as Samsung decides it does not want to support an older TV, so it stops making the circuit boards for that TV and now it can't be repaired if it breaks. So from that perspective your Samsung TV might not last as long as you think it should.

Mobile phone is another story entirely. There is nothing stopping you from keeping the same phone whether it's windows, ios or android for years; barring accidental damage or loss. Nothing is forcing you to upgrade. You upgrade because you want to. It's a choice.

However, if you think the masses are dumb, and you are above that, I applaud you good sir to see through apples thinly veiled strategy. However, considering your profile states you have an iphone 6, I think apple got you as well. :)

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
There is no reason TVs, dishwashers and refrigerators shouldn't last for at least 10 years.

10yrs is 1/2 of what they used to last.

Mobile phone is another story entirely. There is nothing stopping you from keeping the same phone whether it's windows, ios or android for years; barring accidental damage or loss. Nothing is forcing you to upgrade. You upgrade because you want to. It's a choice.

exactly my point....Apple has the machine rolling and their users feel they must upgrade.....great marketing and product placement. Keep the people hungry. apple does it better than any company.

considering your profile states you have an iphone 6, I think apple got you as well. :)

they don't have me.....I know how to keep a wife and kids in-check and supplying me with what keeps me happy. can't pound logic into a woman or an 11yr old surrounded by lemmings at school. The only reason she got an iP6 is because her 4s power button and up-volume broke. Again, nothing lasts like it should anymore. Ipad wise, we have had to continue upgrading because the company bought into the iOS system early and has paid the price since. Thankfully they are moving away from that to save from having to upgrade as often.

Last edited:

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
There is no reason TVs, dishwashers and refrigerators shouldn't last for at least 10 years. Maybe a manufacturer such as Samsung decides it does not want to support an older TV, so it stops making the circuit boards for that TV and now it can't be repaired if it breaks. So from that perspective your Samsung TV might not last as long as you think it should.

Not sure if you're speaking in hypotheticals, but legally all manufacturers are obligated to support an given model for 7 years after its inception. The only companies that do not adhere to this op model are the likes of Vizio as they don't manufacture anything, only assemble.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
10yrs is 1/2 of what they used to last.

I did say at least...implies it could be more. Obviously no hard and fast rules.

exactly my point....Apple has the machine rolling and their users feel they must upgrade.....great marketing and product placement. Keep the people hungry. apple does it better than any company.

I got it, it's your opinion. I don't share the opinion that apples customers are basically isheep waiting to throw money at Apple.

they don't have me.....I know how to keep a wife and kids in-check and supplying me with what keeps me happy. can't pound logic into a woman or an 11yr old surrounded by lemmings at school. The only reason she got an iP6 is because her 4s power button and up-volume broke. Again, nothing lasts like it should anymore. Ipad wise, we have had to continue upgrading because the company bought into the iOS system early and has paid the price since. Thankfully they are moving away from that to save from having to upgrade as often.

Nothing lasts like it should? You think a mobile phone with the abuse it takes should last forever? Granted my wife's iphone 4, which I got the month they went on sale is now an iPod. Never had any issues with it, but like car with 250,000 miles on it we decided to upgrade her phone. My son thought the grass was greener and now unhappily sports a moto x from an iphone 4. I told him to sell it and I would buy him an i6.

I honestly don't know how you could possibly be in the minds of the hundreds of millions of people who buy Apple products to know they will act like a starving dog being given a choice cut of meat. Nobody I know acts like that.

----------

Not sure if you're speaking in hypotheticals, but legally all manufacturers are obligated to support an given model for 7 years after its inception. The only companies that do not adhere to this op model are the likes of Vizio as they don't manufacture anything, only assemble.

I was referring to a 10 year timeframe, but thanks for clarifying.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I got it, it's your opinion. I don't share the opinion that apples customers are basically isheep waiting to throw money at Apple.

we all have opinions. just looking around this board and at the stats proves otherwise though.

Nothing lasts like it should? You think a mobile phone with the abuse it takes should last forever?

Her power button failed after 2yrs and her volume up button followed shortly thereafter. Is that forever in iPhone terms? This on top of the stumbles with launches and software are proving they aren't some magical product that "just works" either. IMO the Xperia Z3 Compact would have been better for her in many ways but I let her learn from mistakes along the way.

I honestly don't know how you could possibly be in the minds of the hundreds of millions of people who buy Apple products to know they will act like a starving dog being given a choice cut of meat. Nobody I know acts like that.

just look at the stats and the board here when it comes to upgrades. iPhone peeps seems to chomp at the bit for upgrades and in many cases they do so quickly. even with iOS updates they do that. Android users don't seem to do that...but then many of us don't really have to. the OS and hardware doesn't precipitate the need like with iPhone users. All my observation and opinion of course.

Last edited:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
Samsung made almost 5 billion pure profit in Q4 ending 2014 and up 23% from q3.

It is still 37% down from its peak when the gs3 came out but it will never hit those numbers again.there is just to much market saturation now and don't expect apple to have a bigger year then the last 2 quaters.they finally got a bigger screen and that's what everyone was waiting for.

There will be a lot less iPhone 6s and 6plus s sales mid year then they were last year

And for all the samsung haters they gained 23% going up against serious comp in the android market and went head to head with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus and still made gains

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Markets where subsidies are used have higher Apple market share. Hence why only a few countries show Apple with any significant market share. Japan, UK and US usually being at the top of the list.

Yep, like Japan 55%, USA 40% and UK 30%.

That said, Japanese do love iOS devices. I think in this particular market Apple would still have significant market share, even if subsidies were dropped.

Perhaps true now that it has had a jump start in ownership.

Back when it had no subsidization, the iPhone got only a little over 10% of the smartphone market share in Japan. It wasn't until the iPhone was subsidized down to zero cost upfront, that its adoption took off there. Same as anywhere else.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There will be a lot less iPhone 6s and 6plus s sales mid year then they were last year

That probably plays more in Apple's favor because the meat and potatoes of annual sales for most companies revolves around the holiday season. Dominating there is huge compared to mid year sales, and more important.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why is money earned in q4 more valuable than money earned in q2-3?

I assume because that is when the iPhone 6, 6 plus and new iPads hit retail and therefore there should be some spike and they can use that compared to previous years to extrapolate how well the new devices are doing in comparison to prior years.

valuable is likely the wrong word though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
we all have opinions. just looking around this board and at the stats proves otherwise though.

You think an enthusiast board dedicated to apple stuff is a microcosm of society?

Her power button failed after 2yrs and her volume up button followed shortly thereafter. Is that forever in iPhone terms? This on top of the stumbles with launches and software are proving they aren't some magical product that "just works" either. IMO the Xperia Z3 Compact would have been better for her in many ways but I let her learn from mistakes along the way.

Fair enough, your wife had a hardware failure after two years and therefore apple products don't last forever in general for everybody. As far as the "just works" I do agree some things could have been better, but in no way diminishes the "just works" philosophy. You could sell the iphone and get the z3. You want to trade an iphone 6 for a moto x?

just look at the stats and the board here when it comes to upgrades. iPhone peeps seems to chomp at the bit for upgrades and in many cases they do so quickly. even with iOS updates they do that. Android users don't seem to do that...but then many of us don't really have to. the OS and hardware doesn't precipitate the need like with iPhone users. All my observation and opinion of course.

The lollipop thread seems to disprove your notion that "android users don't seem to do that" and some of the threads about upcoming android phones also seem to indicate android users suffer from "upgradeitis" also. :)

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
You think an enthusiast board dedicated to apple stuff is a microcosm of society?

I think all the stats available including this board and it's users do.

Fair enough, your wife had a hardware failure after two years and therefore apple products don't last forever in general for everybody. As far as the "just works" I do agree some things could have been better, but in no way diminishes the "just works" philosophy.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the Just Works LOL theory. I stand by my point about the fact that said phrase no longer applies. Apple has more than a few stumbles on launches and with products. Ironically I got notification of your reply here on my iPad Air...that when I picked it up and launched tapatalk, locked up and rebooted. I normally see that more with Safari but it does reboot and lock up more than my Note 3 ever has and more than my iPads have running on previous OS's.
You could sell the iphone and get the z3. You want to trade an iphone 6 for a moto x?

I would but it's her call. In fact I wouldn't have bought the iP6 to begin with. I know she continues to have a love/hate for it. Overall though, I let her do what she wants.

The lollipop thread seems to disprove your notion that "android users don't seem to do that" and some of the threads about upcoming android phones also seem to indicate android users suffer from "upgradeitis" also.

Meh...not really. A single thread perhaps but the stats of OS upgrades on Android devices don't show a desire for users to instantly upgrade. Many still use the older OS as upgrading isn't really necessary and in fact they still enjoy many of the newer apps without issues. Again, it could be that with iOS one is more or less forced to. That or have that download reminder and space on their phone taken up without choice.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
From a company profitability perspective apple wins.

Why would any smart consumer care about a company's excessive profit? That just means you're overpaying for mediocrity. Do you also gloat when you pay too much over invoice for a car at a car lot?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think all the stats available including this board and it's users do.

Prove it.

we'll have to agree to disagree on the Just Works LOL theory. I stand by my point about the fact that said phrase no longer applies. Apple has more than a few stumbles on launches and with products.

I would but it's her call. In fact I wouldn't have bought the iP6 to begin with. I know she continues to have a love/hate for it. Overall though, I let her do what she wants.

Meh...not really. A single thread perhaps but the stats of OS upgrades on Android devices don't show a desire for users to instantly upgrade. Many still use the older OS as upgrading isn't really necessary. Again, it could be that with iOS one is more or less forced to. That or have that download reminder and space on their phone taken up without choice.

Got it. We'll agree to disagree on every single point. It's my opinions that your opinions are just based in some alternate reality.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Why would any smart consumer care about a company's excessive profit? That just means you're overpaying for mediocrity. Do you also gloat when you pay too much over invoice for a car at a car lot?
Yeah....i never get that kind of bragging either. The excessive profits are from the products people (that are bragging) are buying....meaning they are marking them up by a very very large margin.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Prove it.

No need to, not trying to convince you. Besides I know you read the stats on both just like anyone here if not more. I call BS on you if you say otherwise as would anyone who remotely reviews your activity here. Yes, Apples customers are basically isheep waiting to throw money at Apple. One just has to open their eyes, walk in their stores and read any article posted about iDevices to see that. Your own defense of them proves that point even further. You do it like it's your job! LOL!

Got it. We'll agree to disagree on every single point. It's my opinions that your opinions are just based in some alternate reality.

The above actually fits the definition of an opinion. Welcome to the world of opinions vs just your belief. The reality is you continue to try to hard. But we all know you like getting in the last word. Typical....but hey, defending Apple is your job. At least in your alternative reality world....but hey, maybe it really is...

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ask Samsung if they are happy with their mobile divisions performance. It doesn't really matter what YOU think of Apple, the verdict is in and shareholders are happy, customers are happy, the board is happy and management is happy.

Notice the part about customers, without customers there are no sales (ask Samsung). So no matter what YOU think of Apple you stand in the shadows of the majority. I'm just trying to provide some information on what happens in corporate America as it seems there is some confusion about how a company performs when it identifies a need and fills that need with product customers want. Obviously the product won't fit everyone need...

I'll bet you overpay for all your cars and phones.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah....i never get that kind of bragging either. The excessive profits are from the products people (that are bragging) are buying....meaning they are marking them up by a very very large margin.

makes those overpaying for devices feel better I suppose. LOL at tossing money away.....Apple makes it rain among the followers. Kudos to them for doing that and getting said followers to enjoy their role. They absolutely go down in history for doing that better than any company out there. They know it, the shareholders know it, customers, their board and management all know it, everyone knows it. That's the irony in iDevices...but the heaven forbid anyone admit it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.