iPhone: Don't Buy - Updates soon (What???)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bah-bah'd, Nov 22, 2007.

1. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Why does the MacRumors buyers guide now list the iPhone as a "Don't Buy - Updates soon" when it seems everyone thinks that all rumors of a new iPhone coming out soon are bogus and "we won't see a new iPhone release till ~2009." It seems lots of people think that, apple won't release a new version for atleast 10 months or way after...

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I am with you. If there were going to be updates, they would have happened by now for the holiday shopping season.

3. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

What about Macworld in January? They could easily announced an update and a $100 price drop or something.

They just need to list a price drop before June, that's all I'm saying.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It could be that the buyers guide automatically updates the "Buy" status of different items and that it set it "don't buy" by mistake or because the average time to update is set wrong.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I think that the guide updates itself to calculate the average time between changes, and since there has only been one upgrade for the iPhone (60 days or so), it assumes that the next upgrade would be 60 days after the previous one, and so as the 60 is winding down to zero, it puts up the "Don't Buy, Upgrades soon" message as it thinks that it will be upgraded soon.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

MR are treating the price drop and 4GB discontinuation as an "update" which is why the product cycle seems so short. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't any iPhone news before April.

7. bah-bah'd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I did notice the * that said the only 'update' to the phone has been a price change. I am just wondering why the same * was there when the phone was listed as "buy only if you need it" and now it has been changed to a "don't buy" with no actual known reference as to why.

8. bammac macrumors member

Could be the 3G update that has been hitting the rumour mill at the moment. Plenty of guys downunder are clinging to that one.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I think that's automated. The Buyer's Guide goes from "Buy now! Just updated" to "Buy - recently updated" to "Neutral" to "Approaching end of cycle" and then to "Don't buy" but this is only based on the average days since last release

10. bah-bah'd thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks. If that is the case then I think the buyers guide is a little less usefull to me than I have thought over the past few years.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All I have to say is that if they did that then there would be a lot of pissed off people so I think they'd at least wait until March.

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

The current model of the iPhone will not be changed in January, 2008.

13. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

That's fine. I'm not purchasing one until May or June, and I'd think there would be some other kind of price drop before then.

Maybe I'll be able to apply that iPod discount they give during the summer to it. :rolleyes:

14. bah-bah'd thread starter macrumors regular

Even if they did announce something in Jan or March 08, we wouldn't see it for sale for atleast 6 months later anyway, right? Which is why I guess people do think you wouldn't beable to buy one till almost, if not, 09.

Hmm, I bet any further price drop would have to be at the same time as an iPod touch price drop too... Or the iPod touch would have to get way more memory or something to be priced the same as the phone.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It is indeed automated. Arn has said in the past that he's looking into a way to make it more flexible, but at the moment, it's based on averages. Since the price drop was considered an update, the average is very low (~70 days I think).
    Well the Buyer's Guide is really meant to be more of a timeline for you to base your purchases off of. For example, if the average update for an iPod is 300 days, and it's been 400 days since the last update, it's pretty safe to assume that a new update is coming. This works better with products that have been around for longer, as these products have more cycles on which the average can be based upon. With new items like the iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV, etc, more time is needed in order to provide a more accurate timeline.

Where are you getting this from? The reason that the iPhone took 6 months to launch was because MacWorld was where it was premiered as the next great thing from Apple. New updates will be rapidly implemented and available quickly.

There might be a possible correlation, but the two are different in many respects. The iPhone is a smart phone so its audience is different. The touch is really more of a PDA (no phone). In essence, someone who can't afford the monthly plan will get a touch, while those who can will get an iPhone.

16. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I believe they did it so it wouldn't be announced by the FCC.

17. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmm...I had forgotten about that. Just how far in advance does the FCC release information about a phone? If it's 6 months, then Apple's entire "suspense" based marketing scheme may fly out the window.

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I remember seeing the Sidekick 3 pass through the FCC and leaked all on the web in April 2006 before being release in June. However, it can vary; sometimes info is leaked by the FCC very closely to launch, and sometimes it is months ahead.

I believe that Steve Jobs said that the next iPhone will have a more conventional release cycle (such as the iPods, Macs, etc.)

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well the update for the iphone has to be at maximum once per year if not faster .. after all apple has to be on par with the competition.. i wouldn't be surprised by small updates in january.. after all half a year is a eternity in the phone market