iPhone Down for the count!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wyvernspirit, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Oh such a sad day. I came home and placed my iPhone in its loving cradle, only to hear a grinding noise that sounded like my precious was scraping along gravel instead of the happy chirp. It then the iPhone gave me a pop up message that said the it needed repairs and that it could not make or receive calls.

I called apple support (800-694-74663, or 800-MY-iPHONE) and spoke to the reps, they are sending me a loner and a box to ship her back where they will hopefully repair her good as new.

October 2, 2007 will live in infamy! :(

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My experience with Apple's box service has been good...I once gave an iPod in Wednesday afternoon and had it back by Monday morning :)

3. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

They said that because I had called at such an advanced hour (5:00 my time, EST) that I may not get the box till thursday, and then it will take 3-4 days from when they get it back for repairs.

Luckily I have a $15 phone to put my sim in till then so I can get and make calls, but its crap ($15 phone, what do you expect, and thats $15 without contract) and will be waiting on bated breath till mine returns to me.

4. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Recieved my loaner iPhone today. Says AppleCare Service on back. Broken iPhone in box with pick up scheduled for tomorrow. Can't activate yet but can make and receive calls, just no cotacts or ipod content. Added a couple of numbers to phone that i use the most.

5. ctakim macrumors 6502

Good luck, report back on your final experience.:(

6. one1 macrumors 65816

Don't forget to delete your stuff out of the loaner! :)

EDIT: is there a contact email where I can email apple about a wty question?

7. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I plan too.

The info pack that comes with the loaner says the same thing and tells you how to do it. :)

Don't know but perhaps someone else can answer that.

8. jkeithh macrumors regular

Hopefully your experience will be as good as mine. I called and had the loaner the next day. 2 days after that I had my new iPhone since my original could not be repaired.

9. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Some interesting notes while I await my iPhone's return. Oh and it left my place this morning.

The Loaner I received has a big dent in the top left corner. Nor too bad, but I never want to see something like that on my iPhone.

The loaners battery life is significantly better then my iPhone. Don't know why, used the iPhone extensively this morning, including watching a movie on my meal break, and the battery was only 1/3 down when I got home. Usually it is 2/3 down, sometimes less, after work.

Anyways, now it is just a waiting game.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'm curious on what was grinding, I mean with no move parts really.

Sounds scary.

As stated though I have had good luck with sending things back and getting it back quickly.

11. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

How long had you had your iPhone before it got sick?

12. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Short inside the case giving feedback to the speaker? kinda like on my old PC (RIP but ill never miss u while I play on my mac :) ) where the hard drive reading will give a small amount of whinning through the speakers :confused:

13. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

It wasn't a physical noise, but an electronic one. I was just saying it was a "gravel sound" as it is more descriptive and an easy way to explain what I heard.

I purchased the phone on August 11th during a state "Tax free holiday" and activated it around the 14th.

Fedex tracking says it is do for delivery on the 8th by 3:00 pm.

14. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

My iPhone has arrived at the repair facility:

And my repair status has been updated to stage 2:

From AppleCare Status Page:
    AppleCare Status.jpg

So now I wait some more.

15. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

My iPhone is "repaired" and shipping back to me.

Should be here 2-3 days.

So Yay!

16. Wyvernspirit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I Got It!

Received my iPhone back today and here is some news on this:

1. The iPhone I got is NEW... :p

and

2. It has 1.0.2 on it not 1.1.1, which my old one had 1.1.1. :eek:

So far my AppleCare experience with this has been great. The letter that was included said that after doing all the diagnostics they could on it it was determined that a replacement was needed. The new iPhone comes in a box similar to a retail box but about 1/3 or 1/4 the size. The iPhone sits on a plate similar to what comes in the retail packaging with an iClip underneath. The iPhone is fully wrapped.

That is it for now.