Iphone down toilet !

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by saintetienne, Jul 30, 2011.

1. saintetienne, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

saintetienne macrumors newbie

I gave my wife my iphone to look after then Somehow she managed to drop my iphone down the toilet (fortunately it was flushed) I dismantled and dryed with isopropyl and silica gel . Left for a few days , then today I plugged into puter , nothing happened , then after about 10 minutes it connected to itunes and came up with correct info - but lcd display is light up but white with marble effect !. I did a sync/diagnostic test which came back good . Then rang the phone , it rang ok - I guessed where the answer slide was and answered it and it worked fine , then texted phone - that arrived ok , but could not see it . I did a shot of the screen and retrieved it ok ( time and date are wrong ) Has this happened to any one else and will the display be back ok with a new Lcd ?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your screenshot looks fine. What’s the issue?

3. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for misunderstanding - The actual screen itself - just shows bright white blobby effect only - the shot was just to show the phone internals where working - am I correct in thinking that the shot I have attached is what the screen would be displaying if it was working ok ? hence new screen is the way to go ?

cheers

4. Sesso macrumors newbie

5. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the reply - has got to be worth a go

6. saadahmed786 macrumors newbie

you are very lucky haha. LCD's are simple and easy to change on the 3g and 3gs

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The problem with water ingression is the issues later down the line when the water starts oxidizing on the internal boards.

People sometimes find the phone works ok for a while and then starts gradually failing.

8. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the good advice guys - I have already dismantled and washed with isopropyl alcohol - anything else I should use ?

9. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

10. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

long story - it was in her handbag with her makekup , pulled her makeup out then .... plop ! :(

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Usually it's because the phone is in the back pocket of the owners jeans !!

12. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

13. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I had the opposite happen to my wife's old 3G when she dropped it in the toilet. The display itself was fine, but the back-light was burned out, so you could only see it if you held it under a light at the right angle. Everything else on the phone worked fine. I took it to a local repair guy, but upon inspection, he determined I would need to replace the mother board and it wasn't worth the trouble. Good luck with yours!

14. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Worst place ever for a phone.

15. Chestersmith macrumors newbie

touch pad problem

My phone was dropped from my hand.after that it's touch pad is not working any more.:( In this fact what can i do to fix it??

16. saintetienne thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to post update - bought new lcd for £10.99, this arrived about 40 mins ago - phone is up and running now and have tested all functions - unforunately the only thing that does not work is the power switch - but things could have been a hell of a lot worse :eek: - I may replace myself if it looks ok to do , anyone had any experience on power buttons ? are the expensive to have repaired - things went well with the lcd but I do not want to push my luck to far !