Iphone download speed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kneim1, Jun 14, 2017.

1. kneim1 macrumors newbie

kneim1

Recently I had my home internet speed upgraded to 50 mbps. When I use Speedtest.net I register around 49 or 50 mbps on my MacBook Pro while at the same time my iPhone 6s+ will show a download much lower like 15 or even 8 mbps. Any Ideas why?

Thank you..Ken

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Are you contacting the same server when running the test? Is your device roughly the same distance from the router as your Mac is?

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Is the router wireless encryption set to WPA2-PSK (may be called WPA2-AES) only? No mixed/legacy mode?

iOS fully up to date? Tried a hard reset on the phone?

4. SparklyPickle macrumors member

If your MacBook Pro is connected via an ethernet cable, it explains the speed variation.

5. kneim1 thread starter macrumors newbie

kneim1

I didn't pay attention to what server was running the test, I will look at that. I am testing the Mac along with the iPhone on wifi and the same distance to the router. I appreciate the input.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Both using wifi and same proximity to the router.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    iOS is up to date and hard reset has been done. I'm not sure about the WAP, or mixed legacy mode. It looks like I have some googling to do. Thank you

6. jetsam macrumors 6502

And how close to the router are you? A MacBook should have much greater Wi-Fi range than an iPhone.
    Try getting within ten feet of the router. Does your iPhone now get your rated speed?

Ten feet from my router my iPhone gets 83 Mbps of my rated 100 Mbps. Downstairs, and 30-40 feet lateral, my speed drops to 48 Mbps.

I'm also curious about what you are using for a router. That might be the issue, too.

7. kneim1 thread starter macrumors newbie

kneim1

Hi,
    I am using an Actiontec T 3200 Modem/router provided by Windstream my local adsl provider. I just performed a speed test over wifi sitting right next to the router. The Mac came in around 47 Down, but the iPhone only got 11. On the upload side the phone beat the laptop slightly 4.54 vs 4.17. I appreciate your time.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Are you able to separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with this router? its possible your phone is connecting to 2.4Ghz and your Mac is connecting to 5Ghz automatically.

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Or Fast.com Doesn't give upload, but download speed is consistent.

11. jetsam macrumors 6502

Have you tried your iPhone at another location with at least 50 Mbps service, to see if you can isolate it to just your house?