iPhone downloading 100mb+ files over cellular?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jlake02, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this. Apologies if it's already been discussed. (Tried the search but couldn't find anything.)

When I'm on cellular (no wifi whatsoever) and I go to do app updates, large files (100mb+) will say they can't download until I'm back on Wifi. Logical and expected.

However, then they proceed to download. One today was over 400mb and it downloaded and installed it. I was in the middle of a park with no wifi.

I don't mind because I have a 30GB plan, but I found it interesting.

Has anyone else noticed this "bug?"

Edit: forgot to mention, iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

:apple:

2. brianjsw macrumors member

3. ineel macrumors regular

must've been a delta update for one of your apps, thus the update itself must've been less than 100mb

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I noticed this today also. I updated about 6 apps, each between 300 and 450MB each.

5. CelestialToys, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

CelestialToys macrumors 6502

Yup just checked and it's doing it on my 6+

I'd be quite pleased if it keeps doing it rather than being a bug that gets fixed, I've found it quite frustrating that it wouldn't let me download updates >100mb over cellular.

Edit: Actually it has only updated the iwork apps and one other that were listed as >100mb it's plain refusing on a couple of games.

I'm persuaded that ineel is right and that they were possibly delta updates.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Interesting indeed. I haven't noticed them autoupdating, which I am thankful for, since I have quite a few larger apps.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I'm with the delta update theory. I'm sat on cellular and just updated pages etc. it lists them as 6-700mb in size and they downloaded in seconds. Yes I'm on 4g but it's not that quick.

I personally think the App Store is reporting the full app package size but the delta update is small. The thing I have found is some apps apple etc could be using delta updates and others almost always push a full package update.