Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamaggic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
have a JB unlocked 2G 3.0.1 on t-mob, got my bill with an extra $180 charge for going over the 50mb limit. Odd since I never download anything except when on wifi. Checked data usage and large files (>3mb, some as large as 13mb) are being downloaded by the iphone in the middle of the night while the phone is plugged in charging. Even weirder is I have poor cell reception in the house and the phone is ignoring wifi and downloading/uploading whatever on edge. Cant find anything odd on the phone. this just started three weeks ago according to data logs on t-mob website. any ideas??
Thanks

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
The iPhone uses data for push notifications and email and other things.

The only way to stop this is to either put the phone in airplane mode or upload a fake apn so that data is disables completly.

Also, the iPhone reverts to 3G/edge whenever the phone goes into standby. You can jailbreak and download keep awake for SBSettings so that it uses wifi when in standby.

Siarhei

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
not a problem

I had the same problem in the past. But the good people helped me.

So turn on your Wi-Fi then go to your Cydia or Installer(or wharever you had with your jailbreak). Find BigBossPreffs App in Utilities(or somewhere, I don't have my iphone with me right now). Download and install it. You will have all the switches there! For Wi-fi, phone/airplane, EDGE and others. Simply turn that EDGE and 3G off - no problem.

So relax now and go get it tiger! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.