iphone downloading data by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jamaggic, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jamaggic macrumors member

have a JB unlocked 2G 3.0.1 on t-mob, got my bill with an extra $180 charge for going over the 50mb limit. Odd since I never download anything except when on wifi. Checked data usage and large files (>3mb, some as large as 13mb) are being downloaded by the iphone in the middle of the night while the phone is plugged in charging. Even weirder is I have poor cell reception in the house and the phone is ignoring wifi and downloading/uploading whatever on edge. Cant find anything odd on the phone. this just started three weeks ago according to data logs on t-mob website. any ideas??
    Thanks

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The iPhone uses data for push notifications and email and other things.

The only way to stop this is to either put the phone in airplane mode or upload a fake apn so that data is disables completly.

Also, the iPhone reverts to 3G/edge whenever the phone goes into standby. You can jailbreak and download keep awake for SBSettings so that it uses wifi when in standby.

3. Siarhei macrumors newbie

not a problem

I had the same problem in the past. But the good people helped me.

So turn on your Wi-Fi then go to your Cydia or Installer(or wharever you had with your jailbreak). Find BigBossPreffs App in Utilities(or somewhere, I don't have my iphone with me right now). Download and install it. You will have all the switches there! For Wi-fi, phone/airplane, EDGE and others. Simply turn that EDGE and 3G off - no problem.

So relax now and go get it tiger! :)

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Actually, the OP should check out SBSettings. There is a setting in there to turn off edge. I think Boss prefs is old. I remember using that on my 2G way back.