iPhone downloading low-res versions of apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Sep 28, 2010.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I just got a replacement iPhone 4, set it up as stock, no restoring from a backup, and when I synced all my apps some of them, like Epicurious, Engadget, and others are the low-res versions of the app. Yet most of the apps I synced are the high-res versions. I already tried redownloading the apps and while they're downloading they have a high-res icon, but when they finish it goes back to the low-res version.

I also just bought The Sims 3 Ambitions from the app store straight from my phone and when it downloaded, it too was low-res. Could it be possible the App Store is mistaking my iPhone 4 for a device with a 360x480 screen? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

4. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Thought the app store downloads were the whole thing with all versions (iphone, retina, ipad) regardless of the device downloading them; the only difference is when they are installed and run, when the device-specific artwork etc is used.

Edit; Oh. Wait; are you talking about the icons only (just looked at the link...) I guess you've tried the obvious restarting springboard / iphone?

5. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

No, I mean the whole app, it's all low res. It looks like an app not updated for the new iPhone, except in the store it is.

6. MasterTick macrumors 6502

The app store is pulling the icon off their own servers, which if you open up the iTunes store on the computer you see a big app icon, they just shrink it down for the phone display, which is why it's high res.

The developer had to update the phone app icon to make high res when you install it to the phone.

Hope this makes sense.

7. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Ya it's annoying, I use qStatus a lot and it's one of the only apps that I have that have yet to update (it's the only low-res icon on my home screen)

8. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

No... what? Neither of you are understanding what my problem is. I download an app that has been updated for the iPhone 4, NOT JUST THE ICON, and when it downloads for some reason the app uses all of the low res textures and graphics.

9. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Is your phone jailbroken? If so, perhaps that messed things up a bit? (Note: This is not to say jailbreaking is wrong or dangerous — just that it perhaps did something to affect the way icons load on your phone.)

10. MasterTick macrumors 6502

The apps you are downloading aren't high res.

11. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Yep, I just checked and the Engadget app and Epicurious havn't been updated so maybe you're just assuming that they've been updated when they actually haven't.

12. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

It used to be, now I'm running a fresh install of 4.2. No it's not the beta, I had a fresh install of 4.1 before and it did the same thing.

No.... they both are, go in the store and look at the icons. So is NFS Shift, and other apps that I've had that used to be high res.

13. MasterTick macrumors 6502

I already explained why the icons in the app store are higher res than the app on the phone.

And the Engadget app was updated in February. Before iOS 4 was even available. What's so hard about this?

14. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Because all of these apps were high res BEFORE. About a month ago, the App Store started downloading new apps low res. I didn't think much about it until I restored and now half my apps are low res. Before I restored, all my apps were all high res. Now some are not, and all future apps I get from the App Store aren't high res either. Why would EA come out with The Sims 3 Ambitions a week ago and not make it high res?

15. TOOFY macrumors regular

I am having this problem also. For example, the Fandango application is high res icon in the App Store - however, the icon on my iphone is low res. I have the iPhone 4.

I deleted the app, and you can CLEARLY see the icon retina image difference in the app store. Once downloaded, it appears to be less quality. I just saw this today.

16. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

So you're saying that if you go and download, say, twitter, facebook, Apple Store app or Apple Remote right now then the icons on your phone will be low-res?

17. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Yeah go download one of those and if they aren't high res then theres an issue.

18. cecoleman macrumors regular

I too am annoyed some apps haven't updated for the iPhone 4. However I found a program "iPhone Explorer" that lets you change the icons of 3rd party apps. Pretty cool. I updated the Engadget the App to a high resolution one so it matches the sweet Retina display capabilities. I did a couple others in photoshop like DirecTV's app, and Chase Banks. My icons look so much better than the 57pixel version.s

19. AaronE macrumors 6502

All app icons in the App Store appear hi-res regardless of whether there is a retina icon for the app or not. This was a part of 4.1 update.

20. paulisme macrumors 6502

Please post a screenshot of what you're talking about, because most of us have no clue.

21. AaronE macrumors 6502

This is what he's talking about:

Image 1: Engadget app appears to be high-res because of app icon in the store. This DOESN"T mean the app has retina support. It just appears that way because developers upload a high-res icon for iTunes App store when they submit an app.

[​IMG]

App on the homescreen: It clearly has no retina icon. Just because the icons on the app store are high-res, it doesn't mean they are retina supported apps.

[​IMG]

22. cecoleman macrumors regular

See how I made my own in photoshop and used iPhone Explorer to replace the lower resolution versions. You don't even have to jailbreak to do this. I replaced MacLife, Tech Crunch, Tuaw, and Engadget.

[​IMG]

23. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

24. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

It confounded me for a while too