iPhone dried yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elven, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

My iPhone was dropped into a bath back first on Wednesday 4am, it was removed from the water turned off, and dried before being placed in a towel on a nice warm radiator * not too hot *

It's been there since I've checked on it and their is no misting anywhere, so is it wise to turn it on? I really do need it working for my job. :(

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

yeah.
    cant hurt to give it a try.

its had ample time to dry....
    give it a go?

3. /b/ macrumors member

It all depends on how long did the phone get in contact with water.
    I'm not that sure on how well does the radiator works, but try using uncooked rice.
    Put the rice inside a container and put your phone in it together with the rice. Wait for another day or two and I think you can now switch on your phone.
    But if you don't have rice, I say wait for another day.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd wait. If ther is a chance it could dry out successfully, turning it on too early could scupper it. Rice etc, sillica packets, the works to dry it out.

5. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

As per my other thread, attempted to turn it on, and got a fully working 100% happy iPhone 3G :D

6. crusher macrumors member

Now THAT IS stupid. Of course it can hurt, since, if it's still wet, he might just ruin it "giving it a try"...

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

its been drying for 2 1/2 days. by that time the water will have gone
    any damage that may have been done would have been by that time

and what were you doing having a bath at 4am?!? :eek: ;)

8. crusher macrumors member

My Sony-Ericsson took some 3 days to dry. I placed it on a radiator, display up, and checked if the display got foggy.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

And more importantly why were you taking a bath with your phone?

10. macdim macrumors 6502

My father dropped his Blackberry into the lake at our cottage and it was submerged for at least 30-40 seconds. It shut off on its own and my father only waited about an hour before turning back on (it's a company phone that would have been replaced either way). Long story short is that the phone worked perfectly save for clouding in the display, but that went away in a couple days and it's now good as new. Battery life seems to be fine too.

All this to say that if your phone doesn't work after drying for all that time, I'd say it probably never will (work). Small quantities of water will evaporate rather quickly especially when dried the way it's been.

I could, however be completely wrong. If that's the case, try the rice.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Please allow me to explain why this reasoning is faulty... If there were any water left in the phone (btw, OP glad you phone is working) it could create what is known in electronics as a "short" (water is a conductor). While the phone is off, and no electricity is moving through the circuits the water is (almost) harmless. The minute it short out, however, it could literally fry something in the phone.