iPhone dropped in beer...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zianac, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Zianac macrumors member

Looking for some tips on what to do... My buddy dropped his iPhone in a cup of beer... and well... we promptly turned it off... and now it doesn't work... Going to leave it off for a few days but... It's beer and not water... so we need to figure out a way to give it a good cleaning

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry, not aware of any 12 step programs for an iPhone. I doubt it will be able to recover.

3. Geffen macrumors 6502

The iPhone may be ruined, how did he drop it in a cup of beer?

4. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

There was a cup of beer on the floor... He was sitting on a couch, and it fell out of his pocket into the solo cup of beer.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

So when is Apple going to add beer pong support to the iPhone? Anyone working on a hack? :p

Sorry to hear about this. Your best bet is to just let it dry out. I guess if he's daring he can open it up to help with drying, but I don't know about the success rate of putting it back together.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The problem here is that the iPhone still has (or, had) current running through it. It's probably toast.

The only way to give it a thorough cleaning is to take it apart, desolder the battery, wash the individual circuit boards in distilled water, let them dry thoroughly, reassemble and pray.

But my guess is that your friend's efforts would be better spent taking the phone to an Apple store, explaining the situation truthfully, and seeing what happens. Either the store manager will take pity on you and you may strike it lucky with a replacement, or you might get charged the flat repair fee ($249 before the price drop, it may be less now). Even so, $249 isn't bad for getting a like-new iPhone in excahnge for a beer-soaked one. :)

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sadly, electrical equipment and liquids do not fare well together, as many of us have discovered to our cost. Commiserations. :(

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just out of curiosity did the white spot turn a different colour. See this thread if you don't know what i'm talking about

9. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

awww sucks to be your friend......welll he better be prepared to spend some money....a week ago some site i was on was selling brand new 8gb iphones for 199 .......but it was a 3 day sale so i guess that's gone now....sorry:rolleyes:

10. cube macrumors G5

11. overcast macrumors 6502a

What makes it worse is that it's not water, but beer. Full of sugar and everything else that creates a sticky mess when it evaporates. I've thrown motherboards in the dishwasher after events like this, but for something as compact and all in one as an iPhone....good luck!

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

how ironic, two things that bring you happiness...battle royale.

13. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

Well... the Liquid Sensor turned orange, and that isn't a good sign... I think we're gonna try to go to the apple store and pray for a miracle...

14. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

15. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

More importantly, who puts their cup of beer on the floor?

16. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

17. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Mine took a bath too. Chances are you're looking at a replacement for $249.99

Been there, done that. I used my $100 rebate to mitigate the cost. Oh well. S$%& happens.

18. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

An iPhone in a shirt pocket is a disaster waiting to happen.

Don't do it!

19. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hope he drank the beer, because that was certainly one expensive cup of beer.

[​IMG]

21. lmcintyre macrumors regular

slightly off topic but.... where is the liquid sensor?

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

23. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Well, beer is about 90% water, so you're off to a good start already! :)

24. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

If I understand correctly... the liquid sensor is that hole in the top of the iPhone. If you look down into it, it should be white unless it's been exposed to moisture.