iPhone dropped in toilet bowl!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b33eazy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. b33eazy macrumors member

Hey, I just came back from town. And my iPhone won't turn on. Here's the story: I left my iPhone at my son's and his mother's house because I don't get signal any signal when I go to Ireland. Also, I don't like go to a far away place with my iPhone. Anyway, my son dropped my iPhone in the toilet, his mother says. I came back, and a month later to an iPhone that won't turn on. Is there anything I can do to fix it? My baby mother tried to dry it off weeks before I came back to the US, but it did not work still. Could I still just open it and blow dry it or something? Could I leave it next to something hot? I don't know if that would work since my iPhone apparently hasn't been working for weeks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Put it in a bowl of rice and let it sit for a few days.

3. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

I can still do that even though my iPhone was dropped in water a month ago? It would fix it?

4. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

It's been a month???? Might as well just settle on replacing it =/

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oops, I missed that fact! I guess there's nothing that'll help then.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope, its toast now

long since dried

7. kolax macrumors G3

Was he using the aquarium app and noticed one of the fish died..?

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Did his mother turn the phone on after the accident? Maybe to check to see if it was ok? It's possible that it died then and there. It's best to never turn the phone on until it's completely dry to see if you can bring it back to life. Before then, you run the risk of frying...

9. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if she turned it on, but I'll try to leave it under something hot for a day or two. Thanks.

10. Mistah Sheep macrumors newbie

Same problem with me, only I didn't drop it in a toilet. Without even thinking, I left it in a golf cart IN the rain. It was stupid, yes.

I put it in a bag of rice, and it's currently surrounded by rice. My plan is to keep it in there for 3-4 days.

I've heard success stories around the web about it, and I'm hoping it works.

So yeah, surround it in rice!

11. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

^ I'll have to try everything. I put it next to my Xbox 360 to heat it up, lol. So I guess I'll try to put it in rice next. I really don't want to have to buy a new one.

12. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Why are there a lot of people that drop their phones in toilets? It's kind of odd IMO

13. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

14. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Put a button down dress shirt on, put your phone in your shirt pocket, and head for the bathroom, and "plop" -- eventually this will get anyone that does that!

It's a use model problem :)

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Good luck but I seriously doubt that drying is doing to be the issue after a month.

16. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That would be priceless.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

\

This is not uncommon. If you work in a large office building, when you go to the restroom, you can hear people in the stalls clicking away on their Blackberry's. I have heard people answer the phone on the bowl. I get request to replace Blackberries all the time because they dropped in some liquid. (Very few admit it was the toilet:))

19. meagain macrumors 68030

Go to hobby type store and get a bag of Silica. The stuff that comes with gadgets in a little pouch that for some reason always says "Do not eat". Put it in a sealed container for a few days. Better than rice.

The heat idea scares me for many reasons.

20. Roller macrumors 68020

This begs the question "What else was in the toilet when the iPhone was dropped into it? I can just picture the Apple Store Genius saying "Sir, we can't repair it... you tripped the crap sensor."

Seriously, the likelihood of this phone ever working again is low.

21. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

That is just what I was thinking. Did you try to plug it in?

22. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Where was the phone that the kid could even get his hands on it in the first place? Just lying around on a table within his reach? And where was the kid's mother that she didn't realize when he'd gotten his hands on the thing and was happily taking it off to the bathroom to dunk in the toilet?

You're out of luck on this one. Sorry, but irresponsibility on several levels will cost you in the end.....

23. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Come on his son is only 2...:rolleyes:

24. geraldhansen macrumors newbie

dont turn it on

if this happens- dont turn it on- or if on turn off immediately. the tight construction of the phone is good and bad, good because it only let a little water in and bad because it takes forever to dry out...

25. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

A. dop. tion!