iPhone dropped in toilet (I know, I know)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joenobodyyet, May 28, 2012.

1. joenobodyyet macrumors newbie

So somehow, I dropped my iPhone in the toilet. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. Fortunately the toilet was not in use. Anyway, I pulled it out, dried it, then let it sit in the sun. Then I thought of a blow dryer, so I used that to dry it. The screen was dark, and only had an apple on it. The back light was NOT working. So I ran it to the AT&T store quickly where the guy said I needed to take it to the Apple store. It is literally like 1 day before the 30 day warranty (so I was really hoping AT&T would just give me a new one.) So I went home (this was Sunday) and now it's Memorial Day and stores are closed. I plugged the phone into my computer and downloaded a 3 hour update for the iphone. This did nothing but did get rid of the iTunes screen (where it shows an iTunes logo and a plug). I looked online at all of the fix videos and forums and found out how to take the front panel off and then detach the 3 pins connecting it to the back panel. I used a blow dryer again and then connected the phone back together. The back light now worked! And then the phone seemed to be working a little, except the home button would not work. I could actually scroll through things. I then took it apart and tried to dry it again, but now when the phone is on the only thing I see is a white screen, and then it fades, finally to black. But the silent button works, and the ON button triggers the white screen to come on. Also, when I get a message or facebook notification, the screen turns white for a few seconds. So it seems to be receiving messages, I just can't view anything on the screen. It even lights up and makes the charge sound when I plug the charger in. And I'm thinking the home button is broken. Perhaps I need to clean the 3 pins/connecters?

Unfortunately the water indicator in the headphone jack is half red and the one near the charger input is also red, so I'm afraid they aren't going to replace my phone. The inside water marks are white, so that makes me think that the phone could still be functional.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get a new phone and keep it away from the toilet.

3. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

The easiest way to fix this is to go into the apple store and tell them it got wet.
    150 dollars, and they will give you a brand new phone. Dont forget to make an appointment.
    good luck, sorry it got wet. Ive done it to a few phones over the years. (toilet once too)

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would AT&T give you another one? It's not their fault you dropped it in the toilet. You can't bring back a water damaged iPhone in under 30 days or whatever you thought and get another one.

6. fendri macrumors newbie

The very important thing in these scenarios is to turn of the phone instantly and to put the phone in a bowl of rice for 48 hours. Believe or not this heals almost every soaked phone. True!

The rice extracts and adopts the moisture from the phone. It is that simple!

7. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

The screen is white because it is broken. The best way to fix this is to buy a new screen (attached to a new digitizer) and follow the steps you've taken before to replace the screen. The back light is working but the LCD is dead. That is why the phone lights up like it normally would, the back light comes on but the LCD doesn't. You need to get a REAL retina display glued to the digitizer. Sometimes you can find colored glass with the retina display on it, so you can customize it. I think its a 4 or 4s, if its a 3g or 3gs you will only have to get the LCD as they are not glued to the glass.

Also the rice thing only works if the phone didn't short out on the inside. The water can short it out quickly. If the phone has a removable battery (in general, obviously iPhones don't) then remove it and then put your phone in the rice.

Another non related thing would be put a few grains of rice in your salt shakers. They stop mold from growing and keep your salt clump free!

8. kovey macrumors 6502a

The rice thing is such misinformed, ineffective nonsense. It will dry up surface moisture, but does almost nothing to the water inside your phone.

It's obviously way too late now, but you should have a couple of these on hand for such an emergency:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Thirsty-Bag/IF145-163#.T8WNgZV5mK0

You can look like an ******* with a bowl of Uncle Ben's and a broken phone, or you can use a molecular sieve like a pro.

9. spyguy10709, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012

spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

First off, Don't flame. Second off, Rice is a very effective desiccant, or moisture remover. In a pinch, Rice is better than nothing. While a "MOLECULAR SIEVE" as iFixit calls it, is better, it's only marginally so.

Next time you feel like contributing, be nice, and know your facts. Rice works. The science behind it is exactly the same as any product on the consumer market.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Rice ir dissecant, it doesn't matter. It is toilet water. Get a new iPhone. What is happening with the basic hygiene, is it also going down the toilet?