iPhone dropped in water

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JeepGC, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JeepGC macrumors regular

Hey all! Unfortunately I accidentally dropped my iPhone 4 in my dog's water bowl. I tried to turn it off, but it keeps turning back on after I turn it off. Also it seems to think that there are headphones plugged in? I did put it in rice.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Rice, and under a desk lamp to make the moisture evaporate.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I've had a few beer spills on my phone, always used rice and a lamp. I used to get "This accessory is not compatible with iPhone"for a few days afterwards, but it would always be functional eventually. Just thought I'd share that in case you experience something similar.

4. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Can you please mention the time to put it in rice like full day or few hours?

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This process will vary depending on how long the device (this process theoretically works on most electronic devices) was submerged under water.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I do it for about a full day and then possible a few nights afterwards depending on how bad the spill was just to make sure

7. amazingdm macrumors 6502

What's this about rice??

What you need to do is give it a quick dip in alcohol

this is why the battery should be user removeable

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

For one, rice is more readily available to most people.

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Makes a change from all the threads about people looking at 'pictures' on their iPhone while standing over a toilet then dropping it at the moment of climax.

Do you have an attractive dog?

10. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

11. thinkdiesel macrumors member

Mine was in the ocean for 20 seconds. Only problem initially was on/off like yours, but when it dried in few days. Good as new :cool:

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

:eek:

13. sistaman macrumors newbie

iphone in toilet, but have found a solution

My 8yr old dropped the phone in the toilet andit stayed there for at least 30 sec while she cried and tried to explain what had happened. So, I fished it out, dried it off, then wrapped it in a disposable nappy (diaper) that I first cut the inner facing from, enclosed it in an air tight container for 2 days, and it seems to have worked. There's a little pink dye on the fibre of the nappy, indicating that somehting came out of the phone, and I so far seem to have full function.

I had initially lost sound unless I plugged the headphones in, and had some screen flickering, but that seems to have resolved.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

+1 for being quick and creative.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Rice is probably the easiest and best solution. Silica Gel is more effective but probably more difficult to get hold off. Leave it in the Rice as long as possible days not hours.

16. LaughLast macrumors newbie

Calm your ****.

My 4s is my baby, but it's taken a quite a few for the team. Before I completely shattered the last one's screens, it took a dip in the hot tub & toilet on separate occasions and lived to tell the tale.

*turn it off immediately.

*put it in a plastic bag with rice and just a bit of air.

*put it under a lamp or near a heater

*leave it there for 2 days

It may refuse to stay off. If it turns itself back on, leave it that way (it's less harmful than you engaging in a on/off war).

As for long term damage I only just found my new 4s. I dropped it in the snow and...well I had to wait for the snow to melt to actually find it (I really regretted the white case). Long story short, it spent 4 cozy nights in snow, then slush, then really wet grass.

Other than refusing to stay off, it seems fine; I'm ricing it as I type. Will post if it survives the ordeal with all its functions in tact.