iPhone drops Wi-Fi when locked

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by timtax, Sep 23, 2012.

1. timtax macrumors newbie

Since I'm using iOS 6, i noticed when I'm on Wifi and I lock my iPhone, the Wifi drops after a minute or so. That's quite annoying since I'm not able to receive FaceTime calls then. Do any of you know how to resolve this? (turning off "use cellular data for Facetime" didn't help).

Thanks in advance.

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

iPhones have dropped WiFi when locked for quite a long time. It's normal. Never thought about the Facetime call thing though. Are you sure you can't initiate the call if the other party's iPhone is sleeping?

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

is your passcode taking effect? in other words when you're phone is asleep is the screen locked? I'm not sure if it's always been like this as we don't use face time much, but if my lock screen is enabled and I need to type my passcode in, you're correct, a face time call won't be received.

----------

my wife doesn't use a passcode lock on her phone. her phone is in sleep mode yet it will receive a face time call. Seems to be only if the pass lock is needed will it not receive a face time call.

4. timtax thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use a passcode lock, and I was pretty sure in iOS 5 my wifi was almost instantly on when i unlocked the phone. Now it seems something is not entirely right... but thanks!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would expect the iPhone to drop the wi-fi when it sleeps; the Macs do the same thing.

Maybe what you are seeing is just IOS6 taking longer to re-establish the wi-fi connection?

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

My iPhone has dropped wifi when sleeping forever. I know because I have a bug between ISC DHCPd and iOS that when coming back from sleep, the iPhone never manages to renew its address lease properly and ends up off the network until a "wifi off / wifi on". Been doing that since I've owned my 3GS on iOS 3.

7. timtax thread starter macrumors newbie

Something is just not right. When my iPhone is locked and all cellular data is disabled, but Wifi is on, I should still be able to receive FaceTime calls and iMessages and that is not the case since the Wifi is switching off. When I unlock, Wifi is instantly back on, but that doesn't help me in getting messages or receiving FaceTime calls.. :(

8. NapoleonIV macrumors member

I am having this same problem. In the past, if I left the wifi on, it would receive push notifications all night. However, I have since purchased a data plan, and beginning after I first turned on mobile data in my phone, it has been dropping the wifi connection when locked.

9. BRyken macrumors 6502

I noticed this a lot more with iOS 6.0 but haven't noticed it since iOS 6.0.1

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op your misunderstanding how iMessage and face time work.

1, wifi has always turned off when the phone sleeps unless personal hotspot is being used.

2, when a FaceTime call comes in a wake packet is sent to your phone. This wakes the phone makes it ring and establishes a wifi connection. It's always been like this.

11. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

I was also having this problem. Reset your network settings and this should stop the dropping of wifi. This worked for me.

Good luck.

12. mototriu macrumors member

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

This.

WiFi will come on with it is needed.

Example, Photostream requires WiFi but still updates while the phone is asleep.

14. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

the wifi turns on when needed, even my iphone drops wifi when locked unless im downloading something

15. Zero!sOne macrumors member

This is correct, but if the OP has all cellular data disabled, can that wake packet make its way to his phone while wifi is disabled?

16. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

iphone 4, 6.0.1 software, if i set cellular off, wifi on it receives all notifications while sleeping

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What happens if the phone does not keep the Wifi connection "active" to avoid battery drain.
    But, if your phone is working correctly, any incoming task (like a FaceTime call) will immediately re-activate the Wifi connection.

18. big samm macrumors 65816

I remember before ios 5 the delay it took to fall back on 3G was greater than 1 min...

19. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Are you sure you can't receive facetime calls? On my 4S and iOS 5.1 I would still get a facetime call if I was out at the store on 3G or something. But if I tried to answer it I would get an error. I imagine the functionality would still be the same, you would get the call and by the time you answer it your Wifi should be connected and you can take the call.