iPhone E-Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EW800, Oct 6, 2012.

1. EW800 macrumors 6502

Hello,

Please forgive this newbie question, as I just switched to the iPhone 5 from Blackberry. So far, I'm loving it!

In regard to e-mail, can anyone tell me if it is possible to delete e-mail from the iPhone, without it deleting from the server, such as GMail?

Thanks!

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

It is, but only if you use a POP email account.
    IMAP accounts are fully synchronised between phone and server

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This has caught quite few people out..As a rule I leave anything important in my inboxes on both IOS devices...Then I can retrieve it later on my Mac's

Once you hit delete on your phone or ipad....It's gone.

Occasionally, and this is probably IPS / Mail provider specific. You can get messages back by hitting the "All Mail" folder, but it won't always work, and should not be relied on.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you want to keep the email, just do not delete it.

Or, as said, use POP vs IMAP. I find I either want to keep it (on both my computer and on iphone and ipad), or I want to delete it - everywhere.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You can create a folder/tag in gmail to move it off your inbox without deleting it...

6. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

There's a choice for Archive which just moves it to an archive folder, but doesn't delete it. Even deleting it should just move it to Deleted Items or Trash which won't permanently delete until whenever you chose in settings.