iPhone earbuds on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sscotti, Feb 7, 2012.

1. sscotti macrumors newbie

Just wondering if it is possible to use the earbuds that I have for my iPhone with my iMac for Skype audio in and out.

I have a wire Plantronics headset that works fine, but it doesn't hold a charge that well, and it would be just as convenient many time to just use the earbuds for phone calls. Seems like there are only audio in and out jacks on the iMac, not an integrated port, unless there were some sort of USB adapter for that.

Thanks.

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yes.

The audio in/out jack should be a combo.

3. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3554

It sounds like you have an older Mac with split input/output ports, not the single port. I am not sure it will work in that case.

Up side is you can't break your computer just trying if you already have the headphones. If you don't I would not run out an buy them. If you are doing anything serious audio wise (podcasting, Vloging, gaming) I strongly suggest you look into a real mic with both noise cancelation and a windsock to cover for spit pops.

You can pick up cheap USB mics at your local electronics shop for as little as 10 dollars, but you get what you pay for.