iPhone earphones - Apple being cheap?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ryans79, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hey,

With my brand new iphone I got a pair of brand new earphones but *no* brand new earphone sponges...

As far as i can remember every nokia (or other) phone i bought came with these earphone sponges, infact its these nokia sponges that i am using right now with the iphones earphones.

I then went and bought a pack of 10 sponges, so a few quick questions for you Apple veterans as well as audiophiles:
    Are Apple just being cheap in not including these sponges or are they not needed?
    (If needed) The nokia sponges are thicker than the 10 pack that i bought outside which are really pretty damn thin, which is better to use?... is it personal preference or do they have a function (eg more base/clarity etc)?

Personally I think Apple was just being cheap as the earphones hurt the ears if not used with a sponge for any extended length of time...

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I like the sponges and it's the only way I can keep the darn things in my ear. They just fall out all the time without.

Apple stopped including them at least a year ago and probably more. Sucks but with every iteration, they seem to give here but take there. Next thing you know, they'll stop including Apple stickers.:p

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Apple redesigned the ear buds with a soft silicone ring around the outside. This ring keeps the headphones in the ear without foam covers. They are much easier to keep clean without the foam. This is a feature, not "Apple being cheap."

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Apple used to include the foamy covers in the early iPod boxes, two pairs to be exact in little foil packages allong with the earphones. Last iPod I bought that had them was a 30GB iPod Photo about 2004. iPhones never had them.

It seems like all these little extras eventaully go away like docks, remotes and other little things.

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

The earbuds are terrible. I have a pair of in-ear Sennheiser's and I love them.

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

The sponges weren't included with any of my last 3 iPods/iPhone (Classic, 2G Touch, nano), though personally I don't care as I'd rather shove a white-hot fireplace poker into my ears than the included earbuds. ;) Those things are AGONIZING to my ears. I can tolerate them for maybe 5 minutes at a pop and that's it (and that's only 1 bud because the right one keeps falling out anyway).

7. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

well, maybe they should redesign that "ring" because it is neither comfortable nor does it just stay in my ears (and some of my pals too)
    and here we have another guy who has the same problem as me...

What do you use then mate?

Also i feel its easier to clean the foam than to clean the little holes of the earphone if it gets dirty.

@ozzyman500, i heard good things about them, but i just dont use in ear anymore:(

Anyone have any input on the clarity or bass etc of the phones when using thinner/thicker sponges?

8. JEB229 macrumors member

I keep tearing the silicone ring somehow then the speaker just falls out every time I try and take out the earbuds. I'm on my 3rd set now...

9. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Apple is trying to be a low cost producer like everyone else. I'm suprised that they even put earbuds in the package but I digress. I used shure earbuds and bose headphones depending on my mood and how long I'm wearing them. Apple headphones suck, sponges or not.

10. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Heck, would never have the patience... as the first one goes, will go out and buy a decent pair;)

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I have no problem with the current way the 'phones are. I hate the "sponge" things (I call 'em foamies. :D) I always lose one, just ONE of them. Then the other one seems stupid. Then I find another foamie, and I CANT FIND THE OTHER FOAMIE!

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Personally, I never had much luck with the foam pads; they were forever being lost. And once they were lost the ear buds were horrible. These are not too bad in my ears. But I still primarily use a good pair of over-the-ear headphones when I have them.

13. matttye macrumors 601

Apple earphones used to make my ears itch constantly!

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I've been using Skull Candy Titan earbuds lately...the sound quality's pretty decent amd the buds actually stay in my ears and don't hurt. The main place I use them is at the gym, and while they don't completely isolate external sounds, they do a passable job at blocking enough of them that they're not distracting.

I have a pair of Bose earbuds that I use when I'm in non-noisy environments. The sound quality's better than the SC's, but they don't block SQUAT for noise, so I find myself having to jack the volume to the point that I'm worried I'll damage my hearing, so I try only to use them when there's relative quiet around me.

Basically, I tried using Apple's included earbuds with my first iPod mini and that lasted about a week before I couldn't take it anymore. I've never used them since.

15. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

True, and nothing wrong with that... except for the prices they charge is still at the premium producer rates.
    Hehe, know EXACTLY what you mean, I picked up 10 pairs from eBay for 4.99 (including postage) now i dont bother even looking when i lose one, i just go back to my stash.
    Will check them out, thanks!

This is my first ipod/ipone ever from :apple:, but i couldnt take the earbuds even when my sis picked up her nano a while back, they just hurt.
    It still is irritating the amount we pay for the ipods/phones and no "foamies"... i mean, come on.
    This is going to be my first and last iphone thats for sure, will be sticking with nokia as usual, my 5800 is better in soooo many ways, but need the iphone if i want to seriously start developing for it.

Cheers!

16. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

LOL, I didn't say low cost to us. ;) I meant low cost to them :apple:coffers:apple:coffers:apple:coffers:apple:

17. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you meant, i was just saying its not fair... if you charge premium rates, give me premium service/products.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You really think that the redesign was motivated by saving money? How much can four little pieces of foam cost? I doubt any more than adding the band of silicone to the design.

And do you really think those foam pads are the hallmark of a "premium product"? I always thought they seemed pretty cheap...

19. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

No, all i am saying is, ask nearly anyone and they will tell you with the foamies its irritating or downright painful to wear the damn things, nearly every phone maker is giving those things with music phones..., as well as buying a new pair of earphons you get them... for a reason.
    Just because you add something... does not mean you have to subtract something else in its place due to the cost or whatever.
    They do cost somthing to make, thats pretty obvious... it would be nice if Apple actually listened to people wearing this instead of cutting corners and offering th Apple way or the highway.

20. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I use the mm50ip's for my iPhone and they totally smoke the stock buds. Waaaaaay more comfortable too. They came with three sets of different sized ends and the smallest sized worked great for me.

21. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Got a link?

22. warburg macrumors 6502

I bought fairly expensive Bose headphone recently and found to my surprise that I couldn't control volume with up and down tabs on my clicker. Apple has headphones with volume control for about $75, but I would like something better, although not necessarily more expensive. Can anyone recommend good headphones with volume control?

23. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Not that i mind in the slightest mate....but i think many would consider what you wrote kind of thread hijacking, i think you would get better results had you started your own thread with your query.

Again, not that i mind a bit as OP of this thread...

good question though.
    Cheers!

24. warburg macrumors 6502

When I see a thread entitled "iphone earphones" I assume that it's about iphone earphones and not necessarily restricted to sponges. Perhaps you should have included the word "sponges" or "earpieces" in your title if you seriously want to focus in :rolleyes: