Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve5424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,

I have an issue with the earphones that come with the iPhone. The remote and mic won't work. I have even been to the Apple store to get them replaced!

Tried them in a few other iPhones and it seems to work correctly. I have also done a factory reset and still nothing.

I also had my iPhone replaced last month and the issue was also on that iPhone, so I thought maybe my software was having a problem, hence the factory reset but it didn't help.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

UnbornApple

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Sounds like it's going to be an issue with the phone itself. If you have replaced the earphones and they work in other phones...the only other thing to replace would be the iPhone itself.

steve5424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Glasgow, UK
That's the strange thing I had my phone replaced last month under warranty and it's still not working, so I thought maybe something in my back up is causing it so tried a clean restore and still nothing.

Not sure what it could be.

DavidFL

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Please don't think that I assume you are stupid...I don't. I had a friend with the same problem....try this (especially if the iPhone is new and the jack hasn't been broken in).

The headphones have several levels of "click" to go through before they are all the way in. Make sure the plug is inserted all the way. My friend had a case that was catching the edge of the plug, and keeping it from going all the way into the jack.

If it isn't in all the way, you can still hear....but the remote doesn't work.

I hope that the solution is as simple as this for you!!

phillq23

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
i had the same problem and took my phone and earbuds to the apple store. a genius told me that the iphone doesnt officially support the skip song/previous song controls. he said that only the new ipod nano supported it but some iphones work with it and some don't.

steve5424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Well I do think there maybe a fault, my first 3G worked with the remote and mic for a while then it stopped. Earphones and remote/mic worked on other iPhones.

iPhone replaced and still the remote doesn't work. Tried earphones in a friends iPhone again, everything works. Got the earphones replaced in the Apple store at the weekend, still the remote and mic doesn't work on my iPhone. Works fine in my mates.

I think I could be unlucky and have a faulty conection on the two iPhones I have had.

Of course the iPhone works with Skip song previous song, they package the earphones with the iPhone and tells you in the instructions how to use the remote. Also the fact that the mic also doesn't work shows there must be a hardware fault.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
i had the same problem and took my phone and earbuds to the apple store. a genius told me that the iphone doesnt officially support the skip song/previous song controls. he said that only the new ipod nano supported it but some iphones work with it and some don't.

I think you are talking about the Apple In-Ear headphones, which are a completely different product.

iArrudaG

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Hi all,

I have an issue with the earphones that come with the iPhone. The remote and mic won't work. I have even been to the Apple store to get them replaced!

Tried them in a few other iPhones and it seems to work correctly. I have also done a factory reset and still nothing.

I also had my iPhone replaced last month and the issue was also on that iPhone, so I thought maybe my software was having a problem, hence the factory reset but it didn't help.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I had the same problem, heres how to solve it. Buy a canister of air and blast out the headphone jack with it. Make sure not to tilt the can or else the liquid will get it. I'm 99% sure this is your problem, look into the headphone jack and see if theres any lint. If there is, there is your problem.

steve5424

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I had the same problem, heres how to solve it. Buy a canister of air and blast out the headphone jack with it. Make sure not to tilt the can or else the liquid will get it. I'm 99% sure this is your problem, look into the headphone jack and see if theres any lint. If there is, there is your problem.

I've checked that but the mic and earphones have never worked since I got the iPhone replacement last month.

Have booked a genius for saturday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.