Iphone ebay questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagz, Sep 9, 2014.

1. dagz macrumors newbie

So this is my first time where i'm looking to catch an iphone, then sell one on ebay for a larger price, then probably get one later for myself.

Do you guys think its a wise move to do this? and has anyone else done this on here with similar experiences? I never sold much on ebay before and i'm kind of nervous that it won't sell, or that i'd be wasting my money.

Will at&t sell unlocked iphone 6's? also what model do you guys think will sell the most? the 6 plus 64bit gold?

2. Steve yobs macrumors newbie

Why not let someone who wants one get one?

I pray as they launching in limited countries that there are a lot of stock. So people like you make a loss with eBay fees.

3. lysola macrumors member

I've never tried to do this personally but I know some friends who tried this in similar circumstances and got burned. Not like they lost money or anything but they ended up selling the phone for a very similar price and had the headache of shipping, posting, etc etc. Maybe they're in the minority, but I've only ever heard of flipping going poorly.

4. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I think if you're going to do this, you need to be open to shipping internationally. Apple has said that they will only be launching the iPhone in 8 countries originally.

Not that I "condone" this at all, in fact, I really am not stating my opinion here at all. What you will do is your decision.

5. dagz thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually no, I won't make a loss. I have three upgrades sitting on my account and I haven't used them yet, its not like im paying full price for the phones and selling them for more. If anything i'd make more than the initial $400.. but its still the first time for me.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have a feeling that somebody using a broker will buy your phone :D

7. 617aircav Suspended

Even though I did this last year, the fact that you are asking tells me you should not do it. Every ones experience will be different. Last year i was able to get two unlocked gold 5s which were very sought after. This year it may be different. If it turns out that you cant sell it, just return it.

8. dagz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that's true, I can always return it. How long do I have on apple products to return them? 14 days? The question is, i'm using one of my upgrades on AT&T, so i'd be buying through them. Did anyone ever return a phone through at&t using an upgrade? and if so how does that work? Do they restore your free upgrade if you return it?

9. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

How do you plan on selling your phone if its going to be purchased using one of your upgrades? Aren't one of your lines locked to the phone?

I'm on the same boat. I have 2 lines with upgrades. I'm not trying to make a profit but I wouldn't mind selling my sub phone for Apple full price either.

10. dagz thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it locks to the phone itself, doesn't it lock to the sim cards? I recall a lot of people sell their old regular phones on e-bay before the new ones come out, just to get rid of them. If anything it will be locked to at&t if they don't sell me an unlocked phone on pre-order, or you can ask them to unlock it for you, since it's legal now.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

11. lysola macrumors member

That's a good point that I haven't considered. This is probably what most people are exploiting and taking advantage of. It's not something that's going to last forever as they roll it out in other countries so your window might be closing soon.

12. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Yes and no, on the point of it not lasting forever. iPhones sell for almost double in some countries (see Brazil for example)

You just need to know what you're doing.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Make sure you put in place buyer restrictions of the highest level. Ony shipping to a few countries that have a postal system that can be trusted- UK, Germany etc.

14. lysola macrumors member

Even old versions that become basically free or $0.99 once the new version becomes the standard? I can't imagine a 4S selling for much on ebay ever again. I know you're talking about the 5 and 5S, but I never look into buying on ebay so I'm honestly a little ignorant of the whole market.