iPhone EDGE is always on -- am I incurring data charges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cleanup, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So, when Wi-Fi isn't on, my iPhone's GPRS/EDGE service is constantly on. I don't know much about wireless technology, but doesn't this technically mean I'm data roaming on a data service that my carrier will charge me for? How do I disable it?

Also, I read somewhere that the iPhone uses EDGE to send text messages, and thus it can't be avoided. That's ridiculous. Why am I being charged exorbitant data rates (I'm on Fido in Canada) just to send text messages?

Can anybody enlighten me?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm not sure I understand your question. Since I live in the US, some of what I write may not apply to you.
    Yes, your GSM/EDGE connection is on. It is your voice and data, so unless you want to live in airplane mode, it is unavoidable. Unless you have a background action running (such as checking for mail every 30 minutes), there shouldn't be any data charges incurred. The iPhone ends the connection when you exit out of the program. This is why AIM-type programs won't show an update of messages when you're on the home screen.
    So long as you're within your provider's coverage area, you shouldn't be roaming. There's a way to turn off data roaming on your phone, if you're really concerned about that.
    As for the text messages, I don't know anything about that.

Hope this helps,

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

1) SMS usage doesn't incur any "mobile data" charges. It is completely unrelated to GPRS/EDGE/3G.

2) Yes, mobile data access is always available, but you can prevent it from actually working. If you really, really want to disable EDGE data access, you could try changing your phone's APN settings to something incorrect. This will (most likely) prevent you from sending/receiving data.

4. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Or just sell the phone and buy a Touch. :eek:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

But you can't make phone calls with a touch ;)

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*coughFringworksalmostaswell,ehcough* :D

7. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

The Fido CSR I'm on hold with is disabling it right now apparently. Don't tell me GSM/EDGE are mutually exclusive and can't operate independently? I just don't want to be transferring data. It's not like my previous phone had EDGE service. Just voice and text, please.

Are you telling me that disabling GRPS/EDGE disables some fundamental features of my iPhone?

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you don't use EDGE, you don't send/receive ANY data. All you can do is make calls, send/receive SMS, and use the apps that don't require any Internet connection. No e-mail, no Safari, no Maps, no Weather. If you didn't know this prior to buying an iPhone, please ask one of our CSRs for a free "noob" sticker on your way out. :D

9. MikeRiv87 macrumors newbie

Dude Step away from the iphone. This is the most ridiculus thread i have seen in recent history. Did you take even 5 minutes to read your service agreement? What data plan do you have? Set your email to manual fetch or dont have email on your phone. that is the only data user besides oh nearly every other app on the phone.

10. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

What are you talking about? I can still use Wi-Fi for all of those things. My whole point is that I don't want EDGE, because Fido charges exorbitant rates for it, and I'm not even on a data plan. I disabled EDGE in BossPrefs and I also had Fido block my EDGE service just in case.

I knew that EDGE is required for cellular data transfer. Don't think I'm an idiot. I just thought that the iPhone would allow you to turn it on or off, instead of leaving it on just so that functionality remains. That should be up to the end-user.

I'm not on a data plan. I purchased this phone unlocked, second-hand. All I want is an iPod touch with a phone in it. And that's what I got. But if EDGE is constantly on, that pisses me off. I should be able to dictate whether or not this thing sends and receives data over the mobile network. If I want only Wi-Fi, that should be an option.

So don't call this a ridiculous thread. It's a legitimate problem, and while the solution isn't easy, I got it fixed.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ok. See the issue is really that you're referring to EDGE as though it's something that can be turned on or off.

It isn't.

You don't get charged for having EDGE capabilities at all. Instead, what you get charged for is sending/receiving data via EDGE. My solution to this would be simply not to use any apps that send/receive data when not connected to WiFi. That said, you can enable (or disable) your phone's ability to send/receive data (in this case over EDGE). This can be done one of three ways: disabling cellular data access via BossPrefs, setting a bogus APN via Settings, or calling up your provider in telling them to disable mobile data services for your account.

12. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Easier solution:

Install BossPrefs. That way you can toggle EDGE data access on/off as you see fit.

14. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

If you are referring to E or o symbol that you see, it is just denoting that you are in EDGE or GPRS enabled service location. It doesnt mean you are using data. Only when you switch to an app which require data and when no wifi connection available, the data usage starts. Data usage is denoted by circle with hour petal thingie :p

No SMS doest have anything to do with GPRS/EDGE, though MMS will have, thanks to Apple iPhone doesnt support MMS :)

15. chimerical macrumors regular

Is there something like this for the 1st gen iPhone with firmware version 2.2?

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Don't bother with the process in the article.

Install BossPrefs (via Cydia), and use that to toggle EDGE on and off.

17. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

BossPrefs seemed to b0rk my Phone app so in addition to blocking my EDGE service I used SBSettings to disable EDGE just in case.