iPhone eligible for camera replacement program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M.Rizk, Aug 22, 2015.

1. M.Rizk macrumors regular

M.Rizk

Hi all,

I've just noticed that my serial number is eligible for the camera exchange program, but I never felt there is anything wrong with my camera. I also never felt there was a huge improvement from the 5S too.

Just the basic camera that takes good quality photos, the one I am always used to. So I wanted to ask, when Apple added my phone to the list does this mean they are confident its affected by the issue, or they just added all those sold between September and January because they can't pinpoint exactly the devices affected with the issue.

I am really feeling worried right now, I am not a profession photographer or something but at least I find the photos I take with the 6 Plus looking good... I attached a few I just took now for you guys to see, maybe there is a defect and I am not noticing...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239434.465434.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239454.934543.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239464.435314.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440239486.338370.jpg

Video:

2. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

I just set my appointment Always noticed my son's IPhone 6 took a lot better pics

3. willmtaylor, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Mine is also eligible but to be honest I've not seen any of my photos come out blurry so I don't think it's worth having the part replaced and me being without my phone for a period of time. Plus the new models will be out in about a month probably and I'm just going to sell mine anyway when getting the new model.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If your camera is working, there's no reason to get the phone replaced.

6. Linuxpro macrumors regular

I just learned about this a few hours ago. Mine qualifies. I have taken about 1000 photographs since I bought the phone. Maybe a dizen have been blurry. I cannot say for sure that I did not carelessly move.

The nearest repair center is over an hour away, and that means taking time off work. I am not so sure it is worth the trip, but if the camera fails suddenly that might prove to be a problem.

7. seattlecard macrumors member

Mine is eligible too, but I am not sure if mine has the issue. I actually haven't noticed a big problem.

If they were swapping phones then I'd do it... just the individual camera lens? Probably not.

8. uwdude macrumors 6502a

What I've noticed with mine is that it takes a while for it to focus correctly, like a few extra seconds. So if you snap a pic right away after pointing, it may take it before it had a chance for it to focus or do its optical image stabilizing or whatever. A little different than the digital we've been used to with previous phones.

9. Longkeg macrumors regular

If you read Apple's announcement carefully you will see it says (something like) "if your serial number qualifies AND you are experiencing blurry pictures then Apple will replace..." That AND is the all important determining factor. There was a similar thing a while back with the iPhone 5 and bad batteries that Apple would replace. That one said "serial number AND experience poor battery performance." My serial number qualified so I took it in to the Apple Store. My battery tested fine and they sent me on my way without a new one. Bottom line: If it ain't broke, don't try to get it fixed.

10. sallenthornton macrumors regular

Mine qualifies with the serial number as faulty and they are replacing the phone. Apple is shipping me a new phone to replace my current one. They put a temporary hold on my cc for 800.00, but that's not an issue. As long as they get my old phone back within the specified time everything is good to go.

11. Linuxpro macrumors regular

Lucky you! You are getting a new battery in the process!

12. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I never had any issues with the battery, just the occasional blurry photo. Just figured if they were going to fix it under warranty that I should get fixed. I believe I did the expedited warranty replacement program, which was 29.00 expedited shipping and the cc hold for the price of the phone. The cc hold is pending and they will remove the hold once they receive my old phone. It's a good deal for someone like me, who doesn't have a local Apple Store anywhere near.

13. DrBwell macrumors newbie

I brought my iPhone 6 plus into the Apple Store the other day for the camera issue and a faulty headset speaker. If you read the article Apple posted about the defect, they will replace the camera module not the entire phone. When the Genius inspected the phone she said that since the phone has a very slight bend in the case, she would give me a replacement. That was only because the screen and the headset ear piece are as one part, and a bent phone would not accommodate a replacement screen. Inspect your iPhones before you make the trip, you may only get the camera replaced if that's the only issue! I think all of the iPhone 6 pluses have defective cases.

14. Linuxpro macrumors regular

Being that the battery is the most expensive part likely to fail, I figure anytime someone can get a free battery is good.

All that being said a one hour phone call consumes only 10% of the battety in my iPhone 6+, so I am happy.

15. sallenthornton macrumors regular

Lol. I love the battery on the plus. It's amazing. I've been contemplating trying the note 5, but just can't seem to convince myself to give this phone up voluntarily. I love this phone. .

16. Linuxpro, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Linuxpro macrumors regular

I love the battery life, and the security. I use my iPhone for electronic banking with no fear. The screen size is just right. The Wifi on my iPhone has outstanding range when compared to others. Overall I prefer my iPhone.

That being said, I have some gripes about the quality of the IOS. For example if you hold the phone sideways, and the use the finger print scanner to log in, the screeen will sometimes get stuck in the lanscape mode. Also frequently the keyboard appears partly off the bottom of the screen, resulting in the spacebar being unreachable.

If you travel internationally, like me,you will encounter other issues:
    1. The iPhone has difficulty with airport Wifi login. The connect is fine, but Apple often fails to goto the login screen where the user is asked to accept the terms of service. All the Android owners are happily using Wifi while all the Apple owners struggle for 15-20 min. This happens a lot when I land in Vancouver, Hong Kong, etc.
    2. If you drive across borders, it takes an eternity for the iPhone to find its home provider. When I drive from Malaysia back to Singapore it takes about five-ten min to get voice, and SMS. Data usually requires a power cycle. This issue dates all the way back to IOS 6. Android does not have this issue.

I have both an iPhone and my old Galaxy Note 1 with hacked firmware as a backup. The stock GN1 firmware from Samsung had lots of problems that never got fixed. The hacker community created custom ROM images with the "bloatware" removed, and many bugs fixed, so now Android 4.12 works well. I guess that will never be the case with Apple. Overall I guess I am OK with it because I would never risk doing banking on hacked firmware.

17. Orlandorealtor macrumors regular

Orlandorealtor

UPDATE: Took my phone in Friday to an Apple store in Orlando,Fl. They checked it out and said the camera needs replacing. I left it for an hour when I came back to pick it up, they sent for the phone and employee tech brought it out. They told me they had something to tell me about the phone. The text said after they put the camera in the phone will not come on. They then gave me a brand-new iPhone 6 Plus. Camera is fine on this one.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nice. Congrats!

19. sallenthornton macrumors regular

Just received my replacement iPhone. From Fedex. Sux that I've got a hold of 800.00 on my cc until apple receives my old phone, but it was the best option for me. Gotta get this baby in the mail tomorrow! I have less than 10 days for Apple to receive my old phone! Time isn't on my side!

20. livspop macrumors regular

I disagree! My pictures were not noticeably blurry until you tried to zoom in or sent them to be printed. Even when I took it in to be replaced, the tech said, "this camera doesn't look as bad as some of the others." But after the swap the change was like night and day. The pictures were perfect - just like those on my 6. I would encourage anyone with a qualifying phone to go have it done, even if you don't think it's that noticeable...

21. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I feel that if it's covered, whether you notice or not, that you get it replaced. My issue was that the pictures looked bad - occasionally. It wasn't something I noticed all the time, but I did notice that pictures were blurry and I would retake and the picture would be fine. It was sporadic. The replacement has been perfect.

22. Linuxpro macrumors regular

Ok, I am convinced. I will go see them when time and queue times permit.