iPhone Email - Driving me mental!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AvosoWebDesign, Apr 5, 2010.

1. AvosoWebDesign macrumors newbie

Firstly, some background.

At work, I use an exchange server which I sync with my phone. Email comes in, get a notification on my phone and if I delete the message, its gone on y work PC and vice versa.

I want to get the same kind of system up with a personal email account which uses pop3. I thought i could set this up in the same way:
    get an exchange server at home, get all the mail to that and then use in the same way as my work email above.

However!!!!!
    The iPhone doesnt support multiple exchange accounts without jailbreaking.
    I tried forwarding my emails from the home account to googlemail, but then im in a state where the machine at home may get the email from the pop3 server before googlemail picks it up and thats not the same as having a sync-ed setup like exchange.

Someone else must have done this! Please help me!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You need to use an IMAP account.

That will take care of the syncing.

Then, get the app called 'Boxcar.' That will allow you to get a push notification when you get an e-mail. So Boxcar sends the notice and then you manually check the mail account whenever boxcar tells you to.

(You can set your mail account to check manually, but I leave it on "1 hour fetch" just in case I somehow miss a boxcar notice.)

G-Mail works great for that, but it sounds like you're using a personal domain? Does it support IMAP and will it forward a copy to Boxcar while leaving one in the inbox? If it can do those 2 things then you're all set.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope 4.0 adresses some of these email issues.

4. AvosoWebDesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Small White Car - its possible i actually love you!

Thanks very much!

I got my personal domain, to forward a copy to boxcar and its all working perfectly

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I knew if I kept babbling on around this place I'd eventually say something useful! Glad it worked. I get worried when I hear 'personal domain' because there are so many variables I can't predict. It sounds like everything works in your case, though.