iphone email question from potential buyer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vdoc, Nov 4, 2009.

1. vdoc macrumors newbie

OK, forgive me but I cannot find this info anywhere. I am thinking about getting an iphone but one question that could be a deal breaker for me...

I get emails from clients with attachments that are anywhere from 1-15mb each. Sometimes 2-4 per hour. I have no problem downloading to my computer but what about the iphone?

Often they are jpegs or eps which I assume I cannot view in the iphone email? What I am most concerned with is downloading the email to the iphone which will obviously be slower than my cable modem at home.

So here are my questions...

1. Can I look at my email (roadrunner) and read only the text or will I have to download the entire message attachment and all?

2. If I do have to download everything, how can I make sure that I can still download it to my mac at home? And if that does not work, how do I get that file back onto my mac when it is now on the iphone?

3. Will I have to send the email back to myself?

4. Assuming I am at 3GS speed, how long will a 1mb email take to download to my iphone

These are my biggest concerns since most of my emails have attachments so I want to insure that I don't have to ask my customers to resend files and also do not want to run into speed bottlenecks

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Straight from Apple.com/iPhone

Mail attachment support
    Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

You can view a lot of types of attachments. So you can images but I don't know what "eps", so I don't know if you can view those files.

You can download them on your iPhone. And at home, the e-mails will still be on the server (unless you delete them), so you can download them on your Mac as well. So you don't have to e-mail yourself back.

And I don't know about how long it will take you to email a 1MB file - it depends on your data connection.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

First... Attachments in emails. Including some images you have to tap the icon to have the phone download them so you can still read the text. This is partly for the exact reason you mentioned.

As far as accessing emails from home and on the phone, yes that will work just fine. If your server uses POP then the emails you read on your phone will be marked UNREAD on your home computer but if you use IMAP they will be exactly the same. You read an email on your phone and it will be on your home computer but marked read, just like your phone.

As mentioned above, sending a 1mb file will depend on your current connection speed. Likely going to take a little while but it's not going to be crippling though. You click send and you can exit mail and put the phone in your pocket and go about your business.

4. vdoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a setting in the iphone email software to make sure the emails are still on the server. I know apple mail allows this, but you have to choose for it to do so

What about those large attachments? Is there any way to avoid downloading the large attachment and just viewing the text from the email? I believe that apple's mail will allow you to skip large messages

I'm sure a large number of people on here get emails with large attachments

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It will sync your settings right from Apple Mail if you have the account on there. So if you have Apple Mail set to leave them on the server, your phone will for sure. Apart from that, I think the phone defaults to leaving them on the server, but I'm not certain. You may also find more information in my previous post.