iPhone email question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrzyCanuck72, Jul 17, 2008.

1. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I'm anticipating my iPhone arriving next week... I have a question about how email is handled, specifically as it relates to storage space

I'm going to be setting up my gmail (IMAP) and university (POP) emails on the iPhone. Both of those accounts are also set up in Mail.app on my Mac. I'm concerned about the storage space my emails will take up. Will all my thousands of emails actually be stored on the iPhone? They would take up a couple gigs on their own...

Is it possible to 'unload' emails off the iPhone so they don't take up space, while keeping them on my Mac and the web servers?

Basically how do you manage having thousands of emails on a small-capacity device (that you also want to use for other things, like music)?

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Well my experience with POP is that you only have the # of messages you specified in your phone settings, say 25. As for IMAP, I noticed that it pulled folders like: All mail, Sent, Spam, etc. I think as long as you don't go into them, they will not be downloaded. And same with your inbox for IMAP as it applies for POP.

So in a nutshell - no, you shouldn't have to worry.

3. CrzyCanuck72 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh, so you can specify how many emails the iPhone keeps stored? That's a good system

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yes, but be aware that google POP can be a bit quirky sometimes, and you may need to delete a bunch of old email when you fire it up. Once you get past that, you're golden.