iPhone Erase Data Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkshadow1337, Dec 26, 2008.

1. darkshadow1337 macrumors newbie

I am stuck between a decision to turn on the Erase Data feature that erases data on the iPhone after 10 wrong passcode attempts. If i enable it, whoever steals or finds my iPhone can use it after 10 wrong passcode attempts because the passcode would be removed. If i have it disabled, it will be a lot harder for them to remove the passcode. What are your opinions on this.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If there is sensitive data on your phone, turn it on, if not, leave it off. That's my thought on the matter.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

That is a good question to ask yourself, but think of it this way.

With data erase ON: Thief enters wrong passcode 10 times, iPhone is erased, and they keep your iPhone.

With data erase OFF: Thief enters wrong passcode 10 times, iPhone can't connect to their iTunes, but they still keep your iPhone.

Either way, you lose. The thief keeps your iPhone; however, with data erase ON, they won't be able to get to all your information. So I'd turn it on. Frankly, I don't want someone who steals my iPhone to know where I live and access all my contacts, emails, etc.

4. darkshadow1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You.
    Wouldn't they be more likely to return it if they couldnt connect it to iTunes because i had the data erase thing off? Because most people dont know how to restore an iPhone with the Passcode thing on

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If they stole it in the first place I highly doubt that they will return it.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I intended to turn this feature on until the other day when my brother asked to used my phone. Of course I said sure and handed him the phone, forgetting that I recently changed the passcode, he knew my old one and repeatedly tried entering it. I was busy and he was kind enough to not bother me, but then after a minute or two he brought my phone back to me with it locked up for fifteen minutes. I wasn't mad of course, since It wasn't his fault, but I did realize that that could have been disasterous had I turned on the erase personal data setting turned on.

That's just my cautionary tale I thought I'd tell before I got to bed.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well worst thing that could happen in that case is you'd have to resync the phone and have iTunes copy back all the data. That could take 10 minutes, but would certainly be worth it rather than have someone else take all your personal information.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oh it wouldn't delete all my music too? Of course I have back ups of everything, but it really would not have been fun had I somehow in the mix lost some important calendar date or info on a project.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

The iPhone can be restored...you know how iTunes backs it up everytime you connect it.