iphone error message

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by latinoheat, Jan 9, 2008.

1. latinoheat macrumors newbie

I keep getting this, "Error invalid number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code," every time I try to send a test message to someone. Yes, I have put a 1 and area code in front of the number and still nothing. Anyone have this problem? Any solutions? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. latinoheat thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Not everyone help at once......

Update about my problem, here's the story

I eventually got on the phone with a tech guy, after about 2 hours, who was able to help/solve the problem. He first reset the network and had me text someone from my contact list, but instead of going to my contacts he had me dial the actual number w/area code and that did it. For some reason, even though the person I sent the text to on my contacts had the area code included in the number, the text would showed up as an error saying that I didn't have the area code.

Step 1-Hit the SMS icon
    Step 2-Hit the icon on the top right (looks like a pencil inside a square)
    Step 3-put in number with area code, then send text

Oh, and I still have to call Apple because although I can send text's now I shouldn't have to do it the way I'm doing it now. There is something wrong with software and I'll be updating this post after I call Apple.

3. lilpunkin macrumors newbie

Thanks

I had this problem as well and that solution work nicely. It was only happening with people who had the same area code as me so I am guessing that is where the glitch happens.

4. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Any updates on this?

I don't have an iPhone yet, but I am going to get one. But 100% of the people that I text have the same area code as me, there is no way that I am going to enter their phone # everytime.

5. macintoshpie macrumors newbie

macintoshpie

my iphone works perfectly fine with texting, idk whats wrong with yours. i have 1.1.3 on what used to be a jailbroken 1.1.2 so idk

6. lilpunkin macrumors newbie

Re:

It doesn't happen to everyone, and when it does you only have to enter the area code in once. Iphones keep a running log of your texts to each contact so once it goes through, it should work from then on.

7. jeffmc macrumors 6502

8. BugMagnet macrumors newbie

9. tenth macrumors newbie

I have fixed this problem on my iphone.

1. Delete all record of the problem number that will not except text messages.
    Including contact, favorites, call log, text log...

2. send a text message to the phone number manually make sure to include the area code, no 1 needed.

3. click the sms button on your home screen, then select the number you just sent the message to and create a new contact from there.

4. Done!!

10. bobbytodd macrumors newbie

Try this...

I had this problem, but only with one person and only when replying (including after I had just txted successfully). I found this solution on another site, which was eventually dragged out of an AT&T employee who previously said it was an Apple problem (which they always do).

Just send a txt msg to yourself. It worked for me w/o having to restore. I tried deleting the contact before and it didn't work, but this did.

Good luck!

11. Greatwhitecoley macrumors newbie

I am still having this problem. I have restored reformatted removed every trace of said contact, tried every combination of their name and no luck. I have even sent myself a text message. That did not work. Now this may sound silly but what exactly do you mean by send yourself a text message. When i did it I went into the SMS app, clicked the box for new messages and entered my number and sent myself one. Is that what you meant, am I missing a step, did you add yourself as a contact?

12. buglip macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem and here is how I fixed it.

I have fixed this problem on my iphone.

1. Delete all record of the problem number that will not except text messages.
    Including contact, favorites, call log, text log...

2. send a text message to the phone number manually make sure to include the area code, no 1 needed.

3. click the sms button on your home screen, then select the number you just sent the message to and create a new contact from there.