iphone ever be available on another network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by welling1, Jun 27, 2009.

1. welling1 macrumors newbie

I'm totally back and forth on actually buying an iphone. Right now my current phone is dead and I don't need anything other than a typical voice plan. Plus I already have an itouch and live in nyc, so if I need to, i can usually pick-up wifi somewhere, but it can be difficult.

I'm also off my contract with Verizon and don't want to sign on for another 2 years in order to get a new phone. (i've been looking at unlocked phones and just buying one, but Verizon is dangling lots of shiny free phones with another 2-year plan, and I really don't want to spend more than 50.00 on a phone since I really don't talk that much).

However in the near future (like a year) I might need to actually get a phone with web capabilities (work) and I'd want that phone to be an iphone.

Any thoughts as to if apple might extend into other phone companies? Should I just sign back up with Verizon and if need be, pay the early cancel fee to get out of my contract? Or should I just buy a crappy phone to hold me over to be on the safe side?:confused:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

it will be quite awhile before iphones is available on other networks.