iphone exchange experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deluxe498, Aug 12, 2008.

1. deluxe498 macrumors newbie

so i just bought my first iphone in june off of craigslist for 325. it was in ok condition with dents on the top corners....so i was having problems with the battery lasting only 3 hrs on a full charge. and constantly freezing..

so i take it to an apple store. luckily the phone all of a sudden b4 my appointment the said iphone started making the sleep sound...i tried everyhtinh to make it stop. but i couldnt do anything....the apple genius looked at it and he said it could easily be restored.....but i was explainng to him that my biggest issue was the battery...so i told him that 3 hrs of battery life was unacceptable....he gave in and finally asked me

"what would u like us to do so that you can walk out of here a happy customer"

and i told him i wanted it exchanged.

and he did. i was amazed at the service i got. even though they did resist for a while they gave in and gave me a brand new iphone.

im happy...

i love apple!

2. bluelondon macrumors regular

don't love apple for doing what they are supposed to do.

i get tired of the apple people being stubborn at first and then finally giving in. i took my 3g in for an exchange today for light leak issues and the two guys were saying to each other "er joe have you heard anything about this light leak problem?", i just looked at them thinking do you guys think i was born yesterday? everyone knows about the light leak issue with the 3g.
    i was ready to call a supervisor as i was getting tired of their nonsense, but eventually they said ok we will exchange it for you.

if you have a defective product, just get on with it and exhchange it for what we paid for apple, instead of giving us some BS.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good on ya'! Most of those Genius' don't volunteer information, so the disclaimer "What can we do to make this right?" is a definite invitation to get want you want...:p

4. deluxe498 thread starter macrumors newbie

your right. i agree. but do they still have the right to exchange it even if i wasnt the original owner?

i did activate it as a legit iphone though.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Doesn't matter that you were not the original purchaser of the iPhone; Apple's warranty addresses many issues relating to the battery. In your situation, just like thousands of other v1 iPhone owners, the battery would not hold a charge for whatever reason. Enjoy your replacement v1 iPhone...:D

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i think you are VERY VERY lucky.. Apple does not HAVE to exchange anything that was purchased second hand! Thats not ANY retail store's policy.. they probably just assumed you were the first buyer..

I think that was really good on apple's part and redeems them, somewhat. I love it when people offer to do the RIGHT thing for the customer.

7. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I think he's lucky. Battery issue is attributed to the dent, which was likely caused by dropping the phone.

In fact, he is very lucky that he got a replacement phone out of this.

Untrue. Warranty covers the product, not the owner of the product.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, you are correct about the dents and stuff, I must have overlooked that part. So, yes the OP is extremely lucky to have a replacement iPhone...;)

9. deluxe498 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.

and the genius looked at everything on the phone and he didnt say anything about the dents.

he did however state that i was getting average battery life. but i still wasnt satisfied with his answer.

so thats when he offered the

happy customer phrase.

he was a genius with a dark blue shirt.