iPhone Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwrin, Dec 19, 2014.

1. bwrin macrumors newbie

I am going to visit the Apple store to get my phone swapped out because of a loose home button. Assuming they do swap it out, is there any way, or "tricks" I guess to get them to swap it for a different color while they're at it? I got the gold version at the time because its all they had at the store, but I really want Space Grey.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just ask?

I think if you try to get cute with tricks or anything else,it will backfire. Just be polite and ask.

3. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol I don't want to get cute, just didn't know if people had any luck with asking a certain way, if there is such a way.

I guess all I can do is ask

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The Apple Store is pretty accommodating most of the time, but...

I did have one experience, back in 2010. I had a Black iPod classic that needed to be replaced, and they didn't have a black one in stock, and told me it had to be ordered, and would take about a week to come in. I asked if they had a White one and they said yes, but my Black unit had to be swapped for the same color, and they wouldn't let me do it. 4 years ago, so take it for what it's worth. Like some others have suggested, just ask politely and hope for the best.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is actually one of the few things I have rarely seen apple budge on. They usually make you keep the same color.

6. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sad times. I wonder why it's such a big deal?

7. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

So you're doing a warranty swap? If you're within the 14 day return window you could just return and repurchase.

8. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its outside of the 14 days.

9. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

Probably because it's a different SKU/Model which basically equates to a completely different device and would require changes to the account and blah blah.

I agree though, they should let you swap for a different color.

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

Did you buy it after nov 1st? They have a special offer for purchases between nov 1st and dec 23. no questions asked return til the end of january.

I had an issue with my iPad Air 2 screen so they replaced it but then i changed my mind and wanted a 64gb one so they replaced it again without a problem cuz i bought it after nov 1st

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have asked many times and been denied every time. However, a friend of my who has Apple Care+ on his phone has had no problems changing the color, even when it's a free warranty exchange.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It is to keep people from making up things to get their phone changed because they want a different color.

Their rules say it has to be the same color but it never hurts to politely ask.

13. Patrick Boyle macrumors member

Take a look around these forums. Their strategy for eliminating replacements for made-up reasons isn't working :D

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

they won't. you receive the same color you bring in.

15. bwrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe if I paint it black, they won't notice.

----------

Lol what?

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

How are you going to paint it? You'd have to paint the front to Black, and the aluminum to Space Gray and even the bands to that color of the space gray models. Apple can tell by the model number what color the phone actually is.

What I would have done is sell that phone and just buy the color you actually wanted.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't give advice like this and the OP false hope when posts after posts have shown this doesn't work. It isn't like the situations when people have succeeded in getting repairs or accidental damage replacements outside of warranty from being honest and polite.

18. Patrick Boyle macrumors member