iPhone expired!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oblivian, Sep 27, 2010.

1. oblivian macrumors newbie

Today, my iPhone simply says, expired.
    Problem is, I can't restore the iPhone without losing everything on it, because iTunes can't initiate a backup since, you guessed it, because the iPhone has expired.

I take it some else has run into this problem and can advise me how to proceed.

Thanks

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Sounds like you are running a beta. If so, I think you are out of luck. I think you need to restore to a release version.

3. mikeee macrumors regular

THAT ^^^^ up there, or hold down the home and sleep button until the screen flashes and reboots, while its rebooting continue to hold the home button and make sure your iphone is connected the whole time so it can trigger the recovery mode on the phone.

4. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's a beta, but it was the GM and I have earlier checked for updates and iTunes have reported I have the latest version.

The thing is, I am desperate to get out of the hell that being in the Apple developer loop. OK, now I'll get a newer beta (if it exists hopefully), and the iPhone works again, but I can't backup and restore it to a normal/official release because iPhone refuse to restore backup with a newer OS to an older one.

What on earth are these people thinking?

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you download the newest release, you should be able to manually restore by holding the command key when you click the restore button.

Apple clearly says not to install betas on anything other than dev devices.

6. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I can restore the phone, the problem is that everything will be wiped out. I want to do a simple backup and restore, not just restore.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think you can do that. I believe the data is lost.

8. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

No, they don't. Perhaps in a SLA containing 30+ pages no one reads anyways. It should say: DO NOT INSTALL THIS BETA ON A PHONE IN PRODUCTION when installing. The problem is if you have installed a beta in the first place there's no way out. Unless you wan't to lose all your data.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's actually right on the download page. It's highlighted in yellow and there is a large caution image. The section is titled "Read Me Before Downloading" and has a few bullet points. The third point is "iOS 4.2 beta should only be installed on devices dedicated exclusively for iOS 4.2 beta testing. Do not install this software if you do not have a device dedicated exclusively for iOS 4.2 beta testing". I'm sure they update the version number for each release.

Edit: Here is an image I found on Google images to confirm. This would be from a prior release though.
    [​IMG]

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You had to do that before the beta expired.
    You're sol now.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Here's an idea: don't sign up for a developer program when you're obviously not a serious developer.

They absolutely do spell it out in short, plain writing just above the link to download it like in the screenshot that grapes posted. It has been this way since the very first beta of iPhone OS 2.0.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

For future reference, the general definition of BETA is, "not intended for production." Most (but not all obviously) developers and QA people understand this.

13. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but you know just as well as I that it doesn't say that on the 4.1 download page... 4.2 is a very early beta.

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

It doesn't say that now because 4.1 is no longer beta, but it absolutely did say it when 4.1 was in beta (including GM).

Like I said, Apple have always put that warning on every pre-release firmware they have offered on the developer site.

15. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

Listen, I don't want to wip this dead horse any longer, but what you are saying is just wrong. A BETA doesn't mean; "expect bricked phone", it mean; "expect minor bugs".

Tell me one other company that bricks your device without warning? Not a tiny tincy little warning a day or two before execution. Sure, all beta releases comes with an implicit warning and risk, but I dare say most, if not all, other beta releases regardless of OS/software/manufacturer or target device, doesn't brick a device routinely and on purpose.

I am not saying I am without responsibility, but bricking a device is so grave they should make double sure users are aware.

Anyways, I have restored the iPhone to 4.1. The latest backup was from sep 8th, so I didn't lose much except a lot of SMS.

And must say the gloating attitude from some of the users in this thread over my misfortune is just sickening. You should be ashamed.

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

No, I disagree. Beta means: not for production, expect issues, believed to be stable but not guaranteed, enter at your own peril.

As others have stated, Apple warns not to install betas on production devices. As a developer, I have installed beta software on my working machines, but I know the deal that goes with it (which is which I keep multiple and frequent backups). if something goes wrong I can only blame myself.

I may not have read through all the replies, but I didn't catch any gloating. I do see plenty of confirmation that Apple provides ample warning against installing betas on production devices.

Have you considered just not doing the beta thing? Just sayin'...

17. oblivian thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, we will just have to disagree on this one. I just don't expect a beta to intentionally brick my device. Frankly, I've never heard of it before. Have you? Seriously? And yes, I backed up my device prior to installing the beta. Just a pity that was 3 weeks ago. It's been working flawlessly until today.

I promise you, if you'd been stuck with IOS4.0 (Official) on iPhone 3G like I was you'd be desperate too. Extremely slow and buggy. IOS4.0 was clearly a BETA release, at least on iPhone 3G.

I'm on official releases now, and no, I wont ever installed a so called Apple BETA release again. They make up their own insane rules, not seen anywhere else in the digital world. No logic, pure madness.

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

OK.
    Probably a really good idea.

:)