iPhone Explodes In Pocket, Causing Burns


richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
2,127
111
Buffalo, NY
I know it happens.
Last year during school, in the next room over a kids phone started smoking and started on fire in his pocket so he dropped it on the floor. It exploded on the floor. There's still a mark there to this day.
It smelled absolutely horrible and everybody had to leave that classroom. I've seen pictures of the actual phone that blew up and it's much worse than the picture in that article.
 

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
47,555
16,049
Seems like these rare incidents are usually battery related in some way (as in a defective or damaged battery), which is simething that applies to pretty much any phone these days (and even various other devices).
 

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
1,521
542
On the Beach
These things can happen to lithium-ion batteries whatever they are used in. Batteries that show no sign of problems can explode and catch fire. Fortunately this is pretty rare. The hazard is highest during charging.
 

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
2,432
439
Well, for a start it didn't explode. But why let a dictionary get in the way of a sensationalist headline?