iPhone Explorer vs DiskAid

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ash9414, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

So I'd rather use a USB cable to connect to my device instead of SSH because that way I can be sure that there are no security threats like there are with SSH even if you can fix them by just changing your password. Therefore, I have found these two programs and was wondering which one was best. I see that DiskAid isn't free so would iPhone Explorer be the better choice?

Also, when I want to use one of these programs, is it best to turn the iPhone off before you plug it in and access the files on it?

Thanks.

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

If you turn it off, then you can't access the files... because it's turned off...

I've used both DiskAid and iPhone Explorer. In order for iPhone Explorer to work fully, you have to install a (free) package in Cydia called "afc2add". Both programs basically accomplish the same thing, though. I don't necessarily like one better than the other.

3. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. PlanetRed macrumors regular

What features am I missing out on without installing that package from cydia? I've been using iPhone explorer for a few weeks now with no issues.

5. Abby6497 macrumors member

Can you explain to me exactly how to use iphone explorer to back up my files. I have not been able to figure it out and its getting quite annoying. I have tried several other programs and I just dont get it.

From what I have read, some methods of jailbreaking do not register the afc2add which lets you into the root menu of the phone.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You only need afc2add if you used Blackra1n. For most setups, afc2add is not needed for iPhone Explorer or similar programs to see your files.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I love iPhone Explorer, and the same company now makes Phone Disk that mount the iphone as local hardrive (you can use finder) it is great. I don't see the value of DiskAid when all I can do all i need to do with those two free versions.

8. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

What does Phone Disk do that iPhone Explorer doesn't?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It mount the iPhone like a external hardrive so you can use Finder (or Windows Explorer if you are in Win)

[​IMG]

10. Ash9414 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok, is that free? Because it seems like a better option than iPhone Explorer. What does iPhone Explorer do that Phone Disk doesn't?

11. jason221 macrumors 6502

I needed it for my iPhone 4.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

As did I......

S-

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I didn’t.

afc2add even states that it is needed for browsers not working with blackra1n.