iPhone external storage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PatrickGman, Dec 23, 2012.

1. PatrickGman macrumors newbie

My sister in law doesn’t have a Mac or a PC. She does have an ipad and an iPhone crammed with photos and videos. I want to know what I can get for her so she can have more space for her photos.
    I was thing about getting a wireless time capsule but, you cannot move files from an iPhone or iPad directly to a Time Capsule.

iPhone 4S

2. Jaypi macrumors regular

Jaypi

3. PatrickGman thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I’ve heard about the Seagate GoFlex hard drives and the Kingston wi-drive this is probably what I am looking for… But a lot of the reviews say you can not actually upload media files directly to the drive from iPhone or iPad… And that you have to connect them thru usb to a PC or Mac to put files on it. Is that true?

4. Jaypi macrumors regular

Jaypi

I'm not sure... Try to find some review on cnet or TheVerge e.g. ..

You can also work with cloud storage as Dropbox to extend your storage.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Either you can get her a cheap computer with a large HDD, but syncing newer iDevices with older computers is a pain, or you can get her cloud storage as Jaypi said.

Dropbox is ridiculously easy to use, and once set up - just tell her to open the app from time to time to sync all the photos and videos. The downside is it's only two gigs, which fills up fast if she likes shooting videos. You can always pay for more storage though.

Box.com offers 50 GB if you download the app via an iDevice and create an account, but they don't have the automatic upload which means she'll have to open the app and manually choose which photos and videos she wants to upload - and there is no "choose all" option.

Microsoft Skydrive offers 25 GB, but it's as much legwork (finger work) with their app as with Box.com's.

Another option might be something like Picasa or flickr, never used them though so I have no idea about their limitations :eek:

6. Jaypi macrumors regular

Jaypi