iPhone - Extra security deposit for foreigners

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peter404, Aug 25, 2008.

1. peter404 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Today I tried to get an iPhone at AT&T. The requested an extra security deposit of $300 because I have a foreign passport. This deposit is refunded after 11 months.

Any opinions on this policy by AT&T? I think it's a bit much to ask.

Thanks, Peter

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Don't like the requirements for service? Don't give them your business.
    Get an unlocked 2G phone that can be used on other carriers or as a PAYG phone.

They (AT&T) often ask for much larger depo`s from w/Social Security #`s its nothing new.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I've read about AT&T hitting people with huge deposit's before. $300 dollars doesn't seem that bad really, besides you get it back.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They do this to anyone without established US credit, so it is not just a Foreigners thing.

TEG

5. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I believe it has more to do with your lack of a credit history than being a foreigner. I'm Canadian, and when I first moved down to the states for school, I too had to put down a deposit for a cellphone contract.

Hint: I didn't want to put down so much money, so I used a prepaid phone for a few months. Meanwhile, I built my credit by paying electricity/gas/water/garbage bills, and paying off my US credit card every month. It took me about 5 months to build establish a credit history.