Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

...cxz

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
alright i get it people.. :D thanks for your info..

I'm just curious, did you get your iphone fixed. the reason im asking is because I know exactly what you talking about, and i have the same problem right now. also water damage, the phone itself works, the screen is hard to see, but it is really dark, almost is invisible, but can barely see shin under a bright lamp.
anyways, if you did get it fixed, please let me know, how u did it. so i can try to fix mine as well.

Thanks

sandrajst

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
Screen working but not backlit

I just dropped my iphone 3s in the bath - it was in there for about 10 seconds. I pulled it out and dried it off with a towel then a cool blast or two from the hair dryer. It works fine (in fact the home button was not working but now it does) except the backlight is not on. When I turned it on it did flash bright though. I have read all the advice on here and now taken out my sim card and put the phone in a dish of rice. I will leave it until the weekend and then try it again.

It would be great to know if anyone managed to get their phone back to normal following the advice. My phone is out of warranty and I have no money to replace it. I am hoping it works until next year when I can get a new one.

Thanks guys.

Sandra

DcGamer05

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Litchfield CT
STOP USING IT

the chances of it shorting go up the more you use it

seriously do you not have enough restraint not to use it for a week ?

What is the point about asking for advice if you are just going to avoid it :rolleyes:

Lol seriously I dropped my old rzr in soup and the first thing I did was take the battery out and and get it dry. I seriously don't get it when people drop it in water and then they keep attempting to turn the device back on without properly letting it dry.

Electronics use electricity and by subjecting them to water while powered means you run the risk of permanently damaging the phone it may work now but I can almost guarantee it will short later

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
iPhone + water = it will damage your iPhone IC coil (6r8) that controls iPhone backlight, (very dim screen) it normally cost around $60 to replaced it .

sandrajst

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
My Iphone

I posted the other day that my phone had gone into the bath and that I had done various things and put it into rice. Took it out after 24 hours and it has been working perfectly every since. Very pleased..

Sandra

UserName

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2004
iPhone fall into water(phone still working but screen isn't lighting up)

You're a bit... Hmmmm... How can I say it? Ummmmm...
$£OW? People have been telling you to turn the bloody thing off and leave it in a bag of "uncooked" rice for a few days... What's not to understand? Just follow the advice given and STOP turning the phone on for a few days... :) Cheers. o_O

Last edited:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
STOP USING IT

the chances of it shorting go up the more you use it

seriously do you not have enough restraint not to use it for a week ?

What is the point about asking for advice if you are just going to avoid it :rolleyes:

+1. totally. how many people have been telling you to stop turning it on and just let it dry for a week and yet you keep on telling us that you turned it on and turned it off so many times. just let it dry first for a week and turn it on. you should not have turned on your iphone as soon as you retrieved it out of the water. you asked for an advise and yet you did the craziest thing by turning it on the minute you dried some of the water.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Had to stop reading because OP is simply being clueless or trolling.

If clueless...... YES we get what you're saying... the light wouldn't come on. the issue was you were not getting what EVERY ONE was saying which was stop using the darn phone and let it dry. I stopped reading when it came back on so I'll go finish now.......

----------

Seriously, this guys is irritating me when I was reading it.
I know right!
alright i get it people.. :D thanks for your info..
No, your lack of following directions says you don't.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
He, he, I love it when people respond to 5 year old threads. Half the people are gone, banned or dead. But the conversation goes on and on.... :D

JabucaninMarin

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
Hi there! I'm having the same problem now. My iPod Touch 4G got wet yesterday when I was going home from school. It was raining a lot. I had my iPod in my pocket but somehow I got fully wet and so did it. It's not dead because I can see that it is working but the brightness is so low that I would say that it is the very first darkest color after black (it's black but it has only one layer of white in it - it's brighter than black). I don't know how to explain it, since I can't upload a sceenshot (because it can't be seen that way). Actually, its display is fashing at some point but eventually comes back to black. At the moment, I'm trying sceen-mirroring on my Mac but I can't use my iPod like that forever. Does anyone has a solution for this? This is very important to me because I need it for work and to stay connected with people who aren't anywhere near me. PLEASE HELP, I'M DESPERATE!!!

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Hi there! I'm having the same problem now. My iPod Touch 4G got wet yesterday when I was going home from school. It was raining a lot. I had my iPod in my pocket but somehow I got fully wet and so did it. It's not dead because I can see that it is working but the brightness is so low that I would say that it is the very first darkest color after black (it's black but it has only one layer of white in it - it's brighter than black). I don't know how to explain it, since I can't upload a sceenshot (because it can't be seen that way). Actually, its display is fashing at some point but eventually comes back to black. At the moment, I'm trying sceen-mirroring on my Mac but I can't use my iPod like that forever. Does anyone has a solution for this? This is very important to me because I need it for work and to stay connected with people who aren't anywhere near me. PLEASE HELP, I'M DESPERATE!!!
...this thread is nearly 3 years old. You should make a new one.

demialorie

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
My IPhone Got Water Spilled on It I put It In Rice But It Still Isnt Working properly. The Phone Works Like It Rings And Everything But The Screen Is Black And Wont Turn On what Should I Do !!??

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My IPhone Got Water Spilled on It I put It In Rice But It Still Isnt Working properly. The Phone Works Like It Rings And Everything But The Screen Is Black And Wont Turn On what Should I Do !!??

If you are turning it on to see if it works you could be damaging your device. Just read about, it is over three years old but still worth you reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.