iPhone family plan dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by treyjustice, Jun 6, 2010.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Okay I need some opinions.

I am currently on a family plan with my friend and his parents with an iPhone 3GS. I am eligible to upgrade now and my 2 year commitment ends July 11, 2010. I want to get my own account under my name for the iPhone 4G.

Should I just get a new number and start my own account with an iPhone 4G and ride out my 3GS family contract until July 11?

Or should I upgrade my family plan account and have them transfer the billing responsibility for that individual line to me? ( In this case I believe I'd be able to keep my unlimited data plan AND my original phone number)

Although I have heard if I did the transfer it adds an extra 11 months to your contract. Anyone have any input? I need help!!!

thanks

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Since you are currently "Upgrade Eligible", why not just upgrade to the new iPhone and then do a transfer of responsibility to your own line after you get the new iPhone setup.

This would be the quickest and easiest way to keep your existing number and not risk losing your "Upgrade Eligible" status for an equipment upgrade by doing the Transfer first. Yes, sometimes the reps mess up the transfer.

Dave

3. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yes I think that is what I want to do question is will doing the transfer add an additional 11 months to my contract on top of the new 2 year contract from upgrading

4. exATTemployee macrumors newbie

No it will not add any additional time to your contract. You will max have a 24 month contract. Also you can go do the transfer now and not extend your contract if you go to an actual COR store. The 11 months is only added if you do it over the phone. So when the new iPhone comes out you can do the upgrade under your name.

5. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Are you positive? Can I just go to an AT&T store tomorrow with my friends dad and tell them I want to transfer my individual line to my name?

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

No, he said, get the new phone FIRST, and THEN transfer to your own name.